Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's what were in here, and it's terrible.<br><br>
Gage has terrible gas issues and has since birth, he's about 4 weeks old now. We saw a IBCLC at about 2 weeks because I was having nipple pain and bleeding when nursing and I mentioned his fussiness too. After watching him nurse she felt the gas issue was due to his shallow latch and my overactive let down. We worked on his latch and she gave me a handout about overactive letdown.<br><br>
I've been working on his latch and for awhile things seemed to be better, I would say he was almost as gassy but he was able to pass it himself. He doesn't choke when he nurses anymore but he still does gulp and seem to eat very fast. Lately we're back to the constant fussy stage and no matter what we do we can't seem to get the gas out of him. I can hear the air in his tummy/back and when he's really upset you can usually get a burp or fart out of him. He is miserable. He's either nursing, sleeping or having the gas worked out of him. NOt often is he awake without crying. We also cannot put him down at all. So far he hasn't been happy long enough to work with a sling. I know it's pain because of the way he cries and draws his legs up. Also he'll be sleeping or nursing and suddenly start squealing as if he's in pain. He is nursing all the time, I'm sure it's for comfort, but I wonder if it's making everything worse.<br><br>
I've cut obvious dairy and am careful of hidden dairy but have probably had some. I have caffeine maybe once every other day. I'm taking probiotics and he is daily as well.<br><br>
How long does it usually take babies to adjust to the overactive let down?<br><br>
It's starting to wear on me...the biggest is that he hurts all the time. Also that I can't put him down at all, even for a couple of minutes to do something for my other 2 boys. I'm exhausted too.<br><br>
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
My kids never adjusted to my letdown. I know thats not what you want to hear....but its true. I just devised my own system of nursing till letdown, popping them off until my flow slowed way down (I used prefolds to absorb the milk) and then put them back on. Its annoying but they seemed to do ok once the heavy portion of letdown was over. I had a big oversupply of milk as well though, so they tended to get gassy anyway (they'd get full before I even got letdown, ugh), but not as bad.

·
Registered
303 Posts
We're going through something similar, but diagnosed with reflux plus too strong letdown and over supply. Ped advised nursing with dd upright and holding her upright at least 30 min after, wearing her upright in the moby wrap not in cradle hold, and using a paci when she wants to comfort nurse. If she wants to nurse again within 2 hours, I put her back on the same side. I had been trying to improve her latch, but I read that babies sometimes pinch the nipple to slow the flow, so I decided to let her latch the way she wanted despite the pain. I went through a period of engorgement that led to an infection, but finally the flow is less forciful and slows down during a feeding. I am also able to put her down, as long as the surface isn't totally flat -- the bouncer seat I intended to rarely use and the bassinet with one end elevated. But she still has periods of serious tummy pain and holding her so much makes it hard to care for my older kids and to sleep at night.

·
Registered
191 Posts
we are in the same boat, every night she wiggles and worms for about an hour while sleeping and each time she farts she goes back to sleep, only to wake 3-5 min later and do the same thing....at least she is 1/2 asleep through the whole thing, but I'm not. She is not gulping as much and we are trying 1 sided nursing...but I'm afraid my supply will drop too low (it did with my 1st DD....I've had surgery on my left breast to remove lumps), so I'm nervous to stay with the one sided nursing for too long. I've started probiotics with her, she also has thrush (I was on antibiotics for 2 wks b/c of a uterine infection). Here's hoping she'll learn to deal with my loads of milk and forceful let down soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts