Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got a call from my dr.'s office that I'm group Beta Strep positive in my urine. Last pregnancy I had constant urinary tract infections and was on and off of antibiotics from week 20 on until delivery. When they tested me at 35 weeks I was negative, I'm sure b/c I was on antibiotics then. I was set this pregnancy to not use antibiotics at all and so far have been successful.

My Qu. is, is there any way to not have to be hooked up to have antiobiotics in the hospital when I deliver. I was fighting just having a saline lock let alone being hooked up to an IV. I will take the antibiotics to get rid of GBS unless one of you know of another way. I will talk to them about testing me again at 35 weeks and if I test negative to not have the IV but maybe they'll consider putting me on oral antiobiotics around week 40 if I am.

How should I deal with this? Suggestions wanted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I am a doula, not a midwife or even a GBS "vet" but I believe it is usually possible to get the IV medication dosed quickly (20-30 min) and then take out the IV and leave a hep lock in. I believe they have to give it every 4 or 6 hours (it's a hospital protocal thing). So that might be an option to ask your care provider about--then you would only be "hooked up" for some of your labor, not the whole time. And the oral antibiotics is a good idea. In my area, it isn't very popular with most care providers, but it may be an option for you--again, talk to your midwife.

That's assuming you don't feel comfortable with ditching the antibiotics altogether, which I'm sure one of the midwife friends will be able to post more intelligently on than I. It is an option, although in a hospital setting, it is likely to be one people are going to whine at you about.

Best wishes for a beautiful birth!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
The standard GBs recs are that GBS in urine is indication of high colonization and therefore repeat cultures aren't indicated - just go ahead and treat. i don't know if you could convince your dr otherwise. However, you absolutely can get the IV penicillin over 15-20 minutes every 4 hours and the restof the time can be saline locked. There is some data to support vaginal douches with hibiclins (diluted) as an alternative to iv antibiotic but, again, you have to get your dr on board for that. Remember that even with GBS colonization UNTREATED the risk to the baby is only 1/100000 of serious disease. Treating lowers that risk to 1/200000. I'd suggest doing a lot of reading and meditating on what you are most comfortbale with - iv via sal lock, hibiclins or no treatment. There is a thead on homebirth board about this - I don't know how to link you there but check it out. Good luck

Amy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,892 Posts
You could take antibiotics orally for a week or two before your due date. It's really common in Europe. Here, docs don't feel that women can be trusted to remember to take their medicine (as I roll my eyes sarcastically...)
That's why they do it with an i.v., where they can be *absolutely sure* that it's getting done and they can chart it. My HB midwife doesn't even test for GBS. One in something like 30,000 babies could get seriously infected. I personally don't *get* the whole GBS frenzy...
My midwife gives two intramuscular injections of antibiotics if the woman wants to be tested and treated. That's an effective option, as well.
I found this interesting, borrowed from the link above:

Quote:
So, in this area, some OBs and pediatricians have a new approach; for cases of prolonged rupture of membranes, they're only giving antibiotics if the mom runs a fever._ Otherwise, they just do a simple blood test on the baby (can be done from cord blood or a heelstick if they miss the cord blood opportunity) to check for C-reactive protein._ This is an indicator of an acute infection._ If it's negative, everyone can be reassured
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for the replies. I'd like to come armed with as much information as possible to my next appointment. I know that every visit I've had I've tested very high for organism growth so that they couldnt' even get a positive reading on my urine until this month...interesting. I guess my hormones must get so out of whack during pregnancy that I just do that. I would like them to retest at 35 wk.s and then have me take the med.s orally but then again it may not even end up being a problem. I used Hypnobirthing last birth and I actually didn't end up moving a whole lot after I was in active labor, didn't want to. But I think I'll recognize the signs better this time around and hold off until serious active labor to check in to the hospital...then save up for my next baby and have a home birth
.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top