Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I'm in a food run with my 9 month old and looking for ideas. We haven't done much purees and now he refuses to let me feed him, but he of course doesn't know how to use a spoon, so non-finger foods are out. He eats well before the rest of us (and then goes to bed before the rest of us eat), so I can't really prepare a big meal for him from scratch. He's allergic to fish and maybe eggs.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We do a lot of squash, avocados, roasted carrots, baked apples, and sweet potatoes. If I have leftover chicken, I'll give that to him. Black beans totally constipated him, so I haven't tried beans since.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Other ideas? He doesn't have any teeth.</p>

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
<p>DS is nearly a year old and actually does pretty well loading a spoon and bringing it to his mouth - at first I guide him, my hand over his, to load the spoon and bring it to his mouth. after a couple bites like this, especially with something that tends to stick to a baby spoon, he does well on his own. You could try this with yogurt or other creamy things. at home you might even let him finger play and he can eat off his fingers (messy, but the food gets to mouth and belly, and that is the main thing)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Do you do any grains? DS loves bread, pasta, and rice. regular potatoes also. Especially before he had teeth I gave him anything sort of long and skinny to gnaw on, like celery and carrot sticks. you could serve with hummus to make more filling.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>HTH!</p>

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
<p>we did pretty much everything we ate...she just ate it cave-man style with her fingers. at 14 months she's still not really using utensils. </p>
<p>there are times that i have to make her something separate from us due to schedules though....usually i'll just use leftovers. no teeth never seemed to matter, we just held off on raw carrots and just started raw apples recently.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>hmm.......some last minute baby meal favorites.....(unfortunately eggs and beans are my big go-to foods!)</p>
<p>-open face grilled cheese with avocado and tomato or whatever veggies you want tucked under the cheese and then cut into strips</p>
<p>-pasta with whatever sauce...i've even mashed up peas with black pepper, or mixed it with cottage cheese</p>
<p>-pizza bread type thing...same idea as the grilled cheese i guess just with red sauce and cheese and whatever topping</p>
<p>-hummus and crackers (i've seen alot of kiddos get skin reactions but it's just where the hummus touches the face, not a scary-type allergy but something to be aware of)</p>
<p>-ground beef items are always a hit and easy to eat...you could prepare and freeze meatballs or meatloaf</p>
<p>-we do a sushi salad with sticky rice and veggies and a wasabi-soy sauce drizzled over it...the sticky rice is really easy for her to pick up</p>
<p>-baked potato or sweet potato with cheese, salsa, veggies, whatever...</p>
<p>-sometimes i'll pull out a seitan product....i try not to do soy but there's other stuff out there and it's really easy to keep on hand and serve</p>
<p>-you could do a potato latke thing with either potatoes, sweet potatoes, or alot of other veggies. we've also done carrot/apple, zucchini, i think i've seen broccoli....</p>
<p>-last night we had veggie wraps with roasted zucchini, eggplant, mushroom and then cream cheese. i just made hers open faced on a tortilla and cut into strips.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>...and then some veggies and fruit on the side. i just try to get some protein and fat in there. </p>

·
Registered
119 Posts
<p>Me and my DS sound very similar to you.  He's 10 months and we're in a slightly different food rut, so I can at least tell you which finger foods we use that are different from yours!  He absolutely adores cheese cut into tiny cubes or shredded if that's what I'm already doing for dinner.  He also likes fish - a can of sardines works well for a super simple option there.  I give him raisins by eating half and giving him the other half.  He also loves sausage, which I give him in little crumbles if we're having it for dinner.  My DS does have some teeth, but these foods are soft enough that he mostly gums them to oblivion before swallowing.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts