Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a computer armoire off Craig's List and didn't realize the smoke odor carried with it until I got home and set it up. It's not very strong but it's enough to make my throat scratchy and make me nauseated.

Does any one know how to get rid of the smoke out of this wood cabinet?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I would just wipe it down with whatever cleaner you use for a wood product and leave it on a porch to air out for a few days.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
If it's really bad, you'll have to refinish it. (been there done that.
: My mil gave us some used furniture from a smoker's house as a wedding present.) If it's particle board, you're totally out of luck.

Spreading baking soda paste over the entire thing and letting it sit on a covered porch for a few days will help. If you wash the bs off really well and follow up with a good furniture polish, it shouldn't damage the finish.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I know I've used a homemade wood polish cleaner that was olive oil/vinegar/lemon EO. I've always found vinegar/rubbing alcohol dilutions help a lot with odor, especially smoke - so something like that cleaner that does use some vinegar might help. Setting a bowl or two of undiluted vinegar inside it can help absorb odor (I've heard - dunno to what extent you'll find it helps though).

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I rec. the baking soda paste...or a vinear cleaning (spray on...can dilute, but don't have to)...and follow up w/ lemon eo and olive oil (to refurbish wood and make it smell good...).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

As suggested by others, wipe it down with your favorite cleaner so you get the cigarette residue off the surface (that is what is actually causing the smell)

Then, leave a bowl of white vinegar in it for a couple of days. That will help kill the smell.

Then to freshen the inside, get a cedar block (you can find these at Walgreens) and put in the cabinet to keep it fresh smeilling. It usually takes a couple of weeks before the smell is completely gone AND you can re-use the cedar block for another use or hang in your winter closet.

If you don't want to use cedar (save the trees) - you can put fresh lemon and orange peels cut in strips and just let them dry out in the cabinet. By the time they are hard and dry, the smell should be gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts