Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you are not supposed to get overheated during pregnancy, (i.e. avoid hot tubs, prolonged sweating, etc.) particularly during the first trimester. I have read that this means that you should avoid having your body temperature over 38 degrees celcius for more than 20 minutes as the fetus cannot regulate it's own body temperature; it cannot sweat or drink water to bring it's body temperature down so it relies on mamma to do it.

I got stuck doing this off-site work "team building" thing that was very physical, in the sun and waaaaaay above my physical fitness level. It was very hot and humid out and we were in the sun, climbing up hills and steps. I'm only 6 weeks and didn't want to tell work that I'm pregnant so I just went a long with it and tried to drink lots of water. Dumb, I'm thinking now...

I know my body temp was probably above 38 - just by the fact that I was very hot, my whole body (literally) was sweating and I was very red in the face. I figure my body temp was up for at least an hour, maybe up to two hours - I finally said NO MORE and went in to my air conditioned car and drank lots of water. Not sure how long it would take to get my body temp back down or how high it even got.

Anyone know anything about this? Is it very risky? Should I be worried? I figured I should tell the midwife, but first apt isn't until 12+ weeks. If there were birth defects, I assume I wouldn't know until my first scheduled 18 week ultrasound?

Any advice/thoughts/experience/knowledge of this? I'm so angry at myself for doing this!

Kathy.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I personally wouldn't worry too much. I mean women live in Africa where it is 100+ degress daily and they don't have a/c and they have babies every day. If the human race was reliant upon staying between 90-50 degress we would have died off a long time ago. The invention of air conditioning is only about 80 years old and most people didn't have it until the last 50 years and yet here we are

I live in Houston where it is extremely hot and humid for 7+ months out of the year and many women spend hours and hours outside doing all different kids of activities.

Keep in mind that even in the heat your body does do a good job of regulating itself, even after beind in the direct sun most of us don't have temps over 100 degrees.

Deep breaths and relax.

Keri

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's OK, you stopped before you were terribly uncomfortable (that is, you stopped on your own instead of collapsing) so you're likely fine.

Just be careful from now on, OK?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerikadi
Keep in mind that even in the heat your body does do a good job of regulating itself, even after beind in the direct sun most of us don't have temps over 100 degrees.
: Doesn't sound like you suffered from sun/heat stroke or anything like that. You got out of the situation before you got injured.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I mowed part of my frount lawn when I was 4 months pregnant, I was very red, very sweaty, it was July in Florida! I didn't even think that could be dangerous, my dd is 19 months old now, she is perfectly healthy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts