Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying so hard to figure this out, maybe one of you will some input. In April I started having lots of heart palpitations. Anyway, I've had it all checked out, the cardiologist said they are Premature Atrial Contractions and that I should try to ignore (SO easy for him to say) them. I am going to a naturopath and homeopath trying to figure it out, but so far I am still having them. Some times they get so bad that I almost go to the hospital! I am such a healthy person generally I just don't understand why this is happening. Any ideas?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I sometimes get heart palpitations too -- it feels a little bit like I get intense adrenaline rushes for no good reason at all (while I'm sitting down reading a book, for instance) and my heart pounds. I'm certain they're harmless, but they sure are annoying.

Here are the things that have helped me:

1. I've started taking a magnesium supplement every night. (Apparently some heart palps can be caused by magnesium deficiencies.) Magnesium citrate is supposed to be better than magnesium oxide, but I'm not too picky.

2. I've drastically cut down on caffeine. I still drink several cups of green tea a day (and have the occasional dark chocolate square), but no more coffee. If I really need a hit, I go for a soy chai.

3. I've really focused on getting between 48-60 ounces of water a day. Some studies have shown that many women who get heart palps have an overall low blood volume, and rehydrating yourself helps soothe that condition. I get most of my water through green tea (see above), but I also drink a fair amount of plain bottled water.

4. I've started on a low-impact exercise routine (mostly yoga with a little bit fo weight-lifting). Frequently, people with heart palps stay away from exercise, but it actually helps most sufferers. Plus, I think the yoga soothes away ambient stress, which frequently seems to trigger my episodes.

Hope this helps you! I've been feeling *much* better.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You might also want to Google 'mitral valve prolapse syndrome.' No one seems to know why these (mostly women) people get heart palps, although some doctors seem to think it might be an underlying disorder of the central nervous system (particularly the endocrinal system) that manifests as heart palpitations. It does seem to be genetic (my mother has it as well).

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
my first thought was perimenopause. heart palpitations are a common first sign of the transition to menopause, and perimenopause can start even ten years before the onset of true menopause.

have you ever had acupuncture? you might consider it to balance the chi energy in your body and around your heart.

peace to you...

~claudia

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I second taking a vitamin with magnesium or getting a supplement. My mom was having this problem last year and started taking some supplements, along with cutting out caffeine and it went away. Good Luck!

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
I have been having heart palps for years. they started when I was 11 adn were accompanied by silver flashes in my vision and dizzy/fainting spells. They increasingly got worse and within 3-4 years I was having it several times a day. After 10 years of them they disappeared 2months before I got pg with my first child. I was more freaked out that they disappeared than I was with having them. They slowly came back and I have been on beta blockers for it for the last 3 years. Mine get so bad that just walking to the basement has my heart flying and I can't breathe. I have done the holter monitor, echo, ekg's and numerous blood tests, they cannot tell me why I have them. They tell me I'm not at increased risk for a heart attack, I don't believe them.

When I go off my meds I have a hard time doing things because I cannot breathe. I haven't had my meds since Wed becuase my RX is out. My dr forgot to fill out a new rx when I was there the week before and is either not getting my msg's or choosing to not phone back. I had a bunch of blood work done and I know he's waiting for that to come back, I have a feeling he's changing my meds. He was going to take me off the BB last fall and I told him that'll kill me if he does.

If I don't take my meds exercise is hell, even yoga. I get very weak, my heart is racing & skipping beats.

I have not tried magnesium before, I will grab some of that.

Thyroid problems can cause the heart palps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a mitral valve prolapse which sometimes causes svt (racing heart)--annoying but not super dangerous. I've had it since I was in high school. I usually get it when I'm overtired or stressed. It can last a short time or even all day. The most annoying time I got it was during my homebirth--it lasted through the labor going up to 160 beats per minute. When I was pregnant with my second baby I had one of those never ending days with it and the doctor sent me to the ER. They had me try the bearing down method to trip it and also the massage of the coriortid artery in the neck. Then they had me stick my head in ice water--nothing worked, but it was worth a try. Co-q 10 supplements are great to take and the herb hawthorn berry. Exercise seems to do the best job--the stronger your heart muscle can be the better it will treat you. I like jazzercise, its an easy up in heart rate and an easy time on the way down--it also adds some weights. I was told that it is very common in tall thin women and a lot of basketball players have it. I also got a rx from my doc for those times that I just can't get it to go away and so far I've only had to take it twice. If you catch it early, you may be able to try some slow deep breathing--relaxing as you go and maybe you can get rid of it before it gets bad. Good luck--just keep trying different things and maybe you'll find something that works

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the wonderful advice.

A little background about myself~ I am 26, I don't have any children yet (but I'm crispy, going to school to be a midwife, love MDC), and I thought I was quite healthy. I eat well, drink a lot of water and exercise. So, when this all started in April it completely weirded me out.

CarrieMF~ I feel for you
. I feel the same way, its hard to breath once it starts beating out of line. It scares me and makes me nervous to be isolated anywhere in case I need cardioversion or something.

I will share what I have been doing so far to maybe help others and I will keep you posted on how it works. I cut out caffeine almost entirely, like you Christapolis- sometimes I will have a soy chai. I am going to a great homeopath and he put me on a new remedy (calc-nitro) to help with how I deal in general, to help with anxiety. I should have a better idea how its working by next Thursday. I am also going to a naturopath. She thinks she has gotten to the bottom of it and its not my heart, but my liver. The liver and the kidneys are very connected to the heart. She thinks my liver is congested for a bunch of reasons that I can't think of right now, but the whites of your eyes, your skin, and your immune system can all show signs of liver health. I have floaters in my vision lately, a lump in the white of my right eye, and acne. Also, I am allergic to lots of stuff
: . Like Christapolis said they think blood volume has an effect- Kidneys and liver affect blood volume. Anyway, she has me taking a sublingual B vitamin, digestive enzymes with food, ginger tea, cider vinegar 5 min. before eating, 1 tsp. ground flax per day, and I have to rub castor oil over my liver before bed
. So far I feel my heart a little less. I am also looking into the role of inflammation through the body.

Sorry to be so long winded. I just really want to feel good and I want to figure this out. I will keep posting and if anyone else knows of anything I would appreciate any advice~ Thanks.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
My heart palps started a yr ago april. I have a hiatal hernia and was having pains right at my stomach and going htrough to my back and having heart palps. My chiro has been helping me with all of this I also take Beta food for my liver and my gall bladder. My MD and Chiro think mine are related to the vagus nerve UGGh sometimes they feel like an adrenalen rush but other times they are clearly skipped beats. I wore the moniter and had a ekg showed nothing I want the ech but no insurance so I cant afford it. On most days I worry i will just die of a heart attack. They are very scarey.

Hope you get your answers soon

amy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Jessica,

You should know that B vitamins can actually worsen palps in some women. After I started getting my palps, I grabbed a B complex vitamin at the local Whole Foods. My palps actually got worse! I think it has something to do with the bizarre ratio of certain Bs that are in some vitamins. Now all I'm taking is the magnesium and a small calcium supplement, and I'm feeling great.

So the B supplement might help, but if you experience an increase in palps, just try cutting that out for a while.

Hang in there... breathe deep.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Amy~ What is Beta food?

Christapolis~ I will definitely keep that in mind. I had a full blood work up by the cardiologist and my naturopath looked it over and told me that I am anemic both ways- B12 deficient and iron deficient. But I eat really well so she came to the conclusion that I am not digesting my food properly and I am also not assimilating nutrients properly because I am low in a bunch of other stuff. So the B12 I take is sublingual so I don't have to digest it. Anyway, she said that this all relates to my liver. Next time I am going to ask her if I can record our session because it all makes sense when she explains it to me, but I can't remember all the details
. In chinese medicine the heart and liver are closely related.

She also said that I don't assimilate calcium well which is part of the problem.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
beta food is a supplement i get from my chiro to thin the bile in my gallbladder. It works real well. ALso he does auriculotherapy on me as well which has helped with the palps.

I am asking my chiro today about my liver i feel its congested as well.

amy

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:
Christapolis~ I will definitely keep that in mind. I had a full blood work up by the cardiologist and my naturopath looked it over and told me that I am anemic both ways- B12 deficient and iron deficient. But I eat really well so she came to the conclusion that I am not digesting my food properly and I am also not assimilating nutrients properly because I am low in a bunch of other stuff. So the B12 I take is sublingual so I don't have to digest it. Anyway, she said that this all relates to my liver. Next time I am going to ask her if I can record our session because it all makes sense when she explains it to me, but I can't remember all the details . In chinese medicine the heart and liver are closely related.

She also said that I don't assimilate calcium well which is part of the problem.
You have no idea how interesting this it. I am also deficient in B12, I do not absorb it. Having the low B12 levels causes the low iron levels. I was on monthly shots for a year, went up to twice a month shots for a year, then a nurse decided i didn't need them that often and convinced my dr to go back to once a month(this was last fall), it took me 6weeks to calm down after that. Once I was calm enough to talk to him without flipping out on him I told him I needed it back to twice a month which he did with no question. Then 2months ago I stopped taking my shots. I don't like the idea of there being preservatives in them, but I realy hate the going to the clinic & waiting 40-60minutes for a witch of a nurse(the one I mentioned above) to give my shot and question me about it the entire time I'm there. I have started taking oral B12 that dissolves in my mouth so it does not go through the digestive system. This is the next best way to get it after the shots. I have not had my beta blocker in over a week now and I do not have the amount of palps as I did if I skipped it for more than a day or 2, though dh was also gone on vacation this entire time too and I was less stressed without him here. I've had liver panels done a few times and I no longer have a gallbladder, I had that taken out 3years ago.

I had a bunch of blood work done by a different dr 5years ago. I am low in calcium(I don't drink milk, eat little cheese and forget to purchase calcium), my CO2 level is higher than it should be because I don't do enough deep breathing(working on that still), my iron was low(due to not absorbing B12) and there was something else that was low(sugar maybe). The next day I got a call back because the lab techs decided to do more work on my blood and I am lacking in nutrients. He couldn't tell me which ones i was low in but they could tell i was low in them, my regular dr couldn't figure that one out either.lol

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CarrieMF~ That is very interesting that we have a lot of the same things going on! Do you have any other weird symptoms you can't figure out? Maybe if we keep in touch on here we can figure this stuff out together
. Its so frustrating. I feel like why can't everything go back to normal, 6 months ago I didn't have this stuff going on and I am not going to accept it for the rest of my life! I know my regular doctor is going to lose any sleep over this :LOL , so I am going to keep trying to figure this out. I figure that my body is trying to tell me something and I don't want to just ignore the symptoms or suppress them. I have a follow up with my naturopath on July 6, so I'll let you know how that goes. Also, my constitutional remedy should be really taking effect by June 30 or I will be contacting my homeopath again. Gees, you would think that one of these people could figure it out
. You could try adding some of the easy food things I'm doing (listed in other post) like flax added to food, apple cider vinegar (organic 1 tsp. before meals), ginger tea, and castor oil over liver. They are all pretty healthy things anyway.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
To the OP, what kind of a cardio workup have you had? Have you worn a holter monitor? Had an echo and stress test?

I have had an arrythmia since 2001. It started suddenly at work one day. Luckily, I am an RN, so I walked down to the ER right away and was treated. The following day I wore a Holter for 24 hrs and it recorded 16,000 (yes, 16 THOUSAND) PVC's in the 24 hr period. Needless to say, my cardiologist was VERY concerned and had me come right away for an echo and other testing. Structurally, all is normal with my heart. I also had a stress test which showed no blockages. For some reason, the electrical part of my heart is askew and although it never has been conrfirmed, I think I have an accessory pathway. I have taken twice daily beta blockers since 2001 and generally feel just fine. About once a week or so, I feel a major flip-flop in my chest and about a seconds worth of faintness, but I have been assured that I will live to a ripe old age.

For the most part, PVC's *are* benign and aren't a signal of impending doom or catastrophic cardiac event. Except in severe cases, like mine, they don't even require treatment.

I agree with whoever said ditch the caffeine. I have. And I must be sensitive to it because even if I have 1/2 of a soda, I notice and increase in palpitations almost immediately.

Hugs. I know how unnerving it can be to be young with a heart condition.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:
Do you have any other weird symptoms you can't figure out?
Gosh where to start. I have been having headaches since i had my first dd(she's 6). They started as migraines when I was pg with her, never had those before. I've seen a neuro who says they're migraines but IMO(and my regular dr's who saw me for more than 10minutes unlike the neuro) they're not. They are nothing like migraines. I was on medications for it but the dose wasn't working anymore and I was gaining weight so I was taken off in the fall and my headaches decreased. The first internist I saw also said they were miraines. His solution was to take 2 asprin a day for life. The 2nd internist was the one who put me on the beta blocker for my palps. I went to a natural health practitioner(a year ago) who believes that all my physical problems are caused from an overgrowth of yeast, it makes sense but I cannot afford her solution. The minimums was over $200/month. One thing with the yeast is that I'm not supposed to clean or eat vinegar because it is derived from yeast and can make symptoms worse. I convinced my dr in March to test me for it. In the fall he said I didn't have an overgrowth but he could test for it. He never tested me but put me on 6 weeks of some pill. I did feel better while I was on that pill. I don't have as many issues as I used to. Before they discovered my low B12 I was being tested for MS. I had so many signs of it. It turns out my B12 had been low for so long that it had affected my peripherial nervous system(numb hands/feet arms and legs) but was also attacking my central nervous system. Once my B12 level increased those symptoms went away. Right now I can't seem to lose weight, I'm stuck. I was getting really cold but also not tolerating heat(which is a first, usually the hotter the better). My dr tested my thyroid for the hundredth time, still waiting for those results. My AF has been off since I had my last dd. When I was bf'ing it was really funky, when I weaned it would come every month but early or late, heavier or lighter, longer or shorter. There was no real predicting when it'd show up(I don't get PMS). This last month it was suddenly 20days late, dh had a vasetomy almost 3 years ago. My dr tested my hormone levels, still waiting for those to.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.