Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips?

In my mind, I picture being there for a half hour...babe eating lots of sand and freaking out when the water is freezing and then packing all of our stuff up and leaving.

However, I would like it to be a more positive experience. So without bringing everything I own, what should I bring to make a beach day more pleasant with an active crawler.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
We just took our 9 mo to the beach. She hung out on DHs back in the Ergo the whole time and loved it. He handled the narrow, steep trail to the beach and walking all over the rocks to see tide pools, etc. just fine. She enjoyed the view for a while then crashed out and took a nap.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Do you have a good baby carrier? Seems like it would make it a lot easier. Or maybe a playyard or something to cover the sand for your LO to crawl around?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
We took our son to the beach at 8 months and he did fine. I've heard some babies don't like the sand, but ours crawled around in the sand, sat and played in his little pop-up sun tent (pic here - sun tent highly recommended!), and walked around holding our hands. He splashed in the water a bit, but it was pretty warm (Spain in July). Definitely take a sling/carrier. And remember a little sand eaten never killed anybody.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I agree with the PP. A good sturdy 2 shoulder carrier, and maybe a cotton mesh ringsling (for in the water) and a large quilt should do the trick. Oh and maybe a dust pan and little dust broom to keep the sand off the quilt.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Lots of sun protection for the babe, a big hat that will stay on... and fresh water to rinse sand off of hands & out of mouth

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Pretty much what everyone else is saying

We took Paige to the beach at 9 months and she had a blast. The tide was really, really low and she was able to crawl on the sand bar through the "waves" picking up shells and exploring.

Was it fun? Yes! Was I exhausted from chasing her? Heck yes! But it was worth it. We just too her again a few weeks ago and she was like "waves! hi sea!" and I melted.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
i took Calvin at 10 months and it was FUN!

He loved the water and couldnt stay out of it for more than a few minutes. Yes he ate some sand.... he survived.
He loved the texture of the sand and shells along his feet and hands.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
We've been taking DD to the beach since she was...oh wow... three weeks old!!

I never really found it to be too difficult.

Have a few blankets and towels both for sitting/laying on and to keep warm and dry. Take baby powder to help get the sand off when you're read to go home. Some sort of sun shade is a good idea. Lots of sunscreen, water and snacks! And definitely a few change of clothes.

And yes, expect your babe to eat some sand. Its fine. Really. I promise!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Ooooh, helpful question! Our DD is almost 18 months but has a gross motor delay so she's not walking. We are going to the beach next month for a week. Are those sun tents really helpful? I'm not sure she would be willing to stay in one. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all the good tips and encouragement. My baby is A.C.T.I.V.E. There would be no staying in a carrier and absolutely no falling asleep on a blanket while we are there. No matter what we do, that just isn't her.

She loves sand so that will help. She loves water ...but has never been in a cold lake so that should be interesting.

What sunscreen do you guys use for your baby?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
We live in Michigan, so my DS has been to the beach many times. I think his first trip to the beach was at 8 mo. DH and I both like the water. This is what I take for a day trip.

-Pop up beach tent - for shade, nursing/napping, changing diapers, and playing
-Extra clothes and towels in duffel bag
-Baby carrier that you don't mind getting wet/sandy
-Washable toys for LO
-Small cooler with drinks and food for the family

You little one IS likely to eat sand, it's not the end of the world. The biggest problem is keeping sand out of the diaper area. Change your LOs clothes and diaper in the car before you go home, so that they won't have to sit in the sandy diaper or pants. I also make sure that the whole family has hats and sunglasses to wear, as well asn a good mineral sunblock (like Alba Botanicals). We have a history of skin cancer in the family, so we have to be careful. But I realize that this is up to personal preference. If you like to go in the water, take your LO in the carrier with you and wade in. Most babes love it. Have fun!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.