Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 mo old daughter has an ear infection and a fever. Spiked to 104.5 last night, is down now but still there. She slept all day today and I can barely get her to drink. She woke up every few hours last night and drank water. But today - not so much. She peed but it was dark. She needs to drink more. I also tried giving her a mostly water ice pop....she won't have it. ANY SUGGESTIONS!!?? I know how important it is for her to keep hydrated. THANK YOU!

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
If you're still nursing (presuming she doesn't want to just nurse) and have a pump, I'd pump and offer little spoonfuls, like a teaspoon at a time. Or squirt small amounts of a liquid (breastmilk, water, pedialyte) in her mouth with an oral syringe (the kind from the drugstore). Just maybe 1/2 or 1 tsp at a time, but frequently, like every 10 or 15 minutes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was down to only nursing in the mornings before she was sick. And at that sometimes it was only every other day. She actually always will nurse any time - but I can't always produce in the middle of the day anymore ..

I actually just got her to drink some water from her sippy cup. Better than nothing ..

But about Pedialite - doesn't it have lots of sodium and is intended for when children get dehydrated from losing fluids & electrolites from vomiting or diarreah? Or does it apply to my kind of situation too?

PS - THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RESPONDING. It makes me so happy to know I can count on other moms to reply so quickly.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
(heading to bed, here are a few old posts about fever and ear infections)

Also, consider some coconut water and "rehydration solutions". Here is the recipe:

All you need is 1/4 tsp sea salt to each 6 oz or water; the rest is for flavor but here is the full recipe:

To make 1/2 gallon at a time:
1 cup lemon juice (fresh squeezed, no preservatives)
2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
2 syringes full of lemon drop stevia
7 cups filtered water

Here are two links to info on many of the health benefits of coconut water:

http://www.living-foods.com/articles/coconutwater.html

http://www.cocotap.com/nutrition.htm

I heard it is best served chilled.

Nursing is best.

Here are some homeopathic options for fever:

I'd use the Belladonna and other homeopathic antipyretics for fevers:
http://www.drfeder.com/children/homeopathy-fever.htm

Here is an article called "Fevers In Children, A Blessing in
Disguise". It was first printed in Mothering Magazine. It discusses
the dangers of fever reducers.
http://www.mothering.com/articles/growing_child/child_health/fever.html

Diary intolerance is the number one cause of fluid build up in ears.

"In one study an astonishing 86% of the children tested became free of ear problems once they came off dairy food."
http://www.safekids.co.uk/EarProblemsAndAllergies.html
http://www.healthychild.com/ear-infe...ternatives.htm
http://www.vitacost.com/science/conc...infection.html
http://www.femail.com.au/ear-infections-truestar.htm

Additionally, I was just reading that chiropractic adjustments could help with ear infections. I didn't know.

Breast milk in the ear or garlic oil is supposed to help too.

Also, add vitamin C and whole food probiotics, such as yogurt for the immune system.

"In an October study in the medical journal The Lancet, researchers found that antibiotics for ear infections are only beneficial to children under the age of 2 with both ears infected. Study leader Dr. Maroeska Rovers, of the University Medical Center Utrecht in the Netherlands, said that researchers found that in most other cases, watchful waiting is OK."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16140545/#storyContinued
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ear-infections/EI99999

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/...ics-vs-waiting

"Evidence has been building over the years showing most ear infections resolve on their own and antibiotics do little or nothing to speed the process. And, overuse of antibiotics leads to antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria. The most important factor in treatment for ear infections is pain relief."

A landmark study published in Pediatrics has shown that treating ear infections with antibiotics has no benefit when compared to doing nothing (McCormick 2005).
http://www.hpakids.org/holistic-heal...-Not-Necessary

My recommendation is classical homeopathy.
A friend's daughter had six rounds of antibiotics for ear infections and was scheduled for tube insertion. She saw the homeopath and gave her daughter the proscribed remedy. On return to the physician prior to the surgery, her ears were no longer infected. And she has had no ear infections since.

Our homeopathist first learned about homeopathy for her son with ear infections. Then she became schooled about homeopathy. I am a complete believer. Although, I still do not understand how it works. We are all on constitutional remedies and are rarely ever sick.

We don't treat fevers. One issue is that Tylenol wears off abruptly and Motrin wears off more slowly. Fever spikes are more common when Tylenol wears off abruptly. Febrile seizures are more common with fever spikes. We never use Tylenol. There are potential issues with liver toxicity too. Motrin has risks associated with taking it with viruses. And masking illness and vaccine reactions is a whole 'nuther issue.

I have given Motrin a few times for abject inability to rest after half the night has past and no one is going to survive (sanity) without some sleep.

We use classical homeopathy now and ds doesn't get sick more than for 48 hours. And never like he used to for 7-10 days. And we use large doses of Vit. C and "Sambucol for Kids". It has herbal elderberry root, echinecea, propolis for congestion, immune system and coughs. (Asthmatics are supposed to be careful with echinecea as they are more often allergic to it.) We buy if at the Natural food store. There is one for adults too. We all use it before visiting people from out of town, over holidays, back to school time, and at the first sight of sniffles.

I give ds 1500mg Vit. C twice a day. That is about a third an adult dose and he is about 1/3 my weight. He is 7 years old. I don't know the baby/toddler doses. Tylenol or Motrin lengthen colds/flus. There was a study that showed anti-pyretics (fever reducers) lengthened the flu from 5.3 days to 8.6 days (in adults).

We have used homeopathic belladonna too. Acute homeopathy is kinda tricky though and I referred to others who knew what to proscribe at the time. I don't know if Hyland's has a cold/flu/fever homeopathic option. I imagine that they do.

Another suggestion is Grapefruit Seed Extract. Not grape seed. It is also a natural anti-inflamatory. It is give orally, diluted in water. It tastes horrible though.

Here are some more ideas:
Garlic is a natural antibiotic.
Collodial silver is a natural antibiotic.
Vit C-large doses (natural fever reducer, iirc)
Cod liver oil- essential fatty acids help the immune system (We use Nordic Naturals -strawberry and our son loves it!)
Chamommilla is good for restlessness, discomfort, insomnia, unbearable pain; fever; child is impatient and angry.
Zinc lozenges help the immune system
Echinecea- We use Sambucol for Kids
Probiotics- for immune support, digestive system is 70% of immune system. Many of the serious side effects of cp are associated with a damaged gut, secondary to antibiotic use. Avoid antibiotics with cp and other viral illnesses.

Chiro adjustments helps prevent ear infections
Craniosacral helps

And Dairy is the #1 culprit of fluid and mucus production leading to an environment conducive to ear infections.

Here is some info about homeopathic remedies (and treating ear infections).

* Aconite: Pain that comes on suddenly after a shock or chill.

* Belladonna: Severe throbbing pain; child is oversensitive and cranky.

* Chamomilla: Unbearable pain; fever; child is impatient and angry.

* Lycopodium: Pain on right side only; stopped-up nose; cold extremities.

* Magnesia phosphorica (or "homeopathic aspirin"): Pain reduced by the application of heat or pressure.

* Mercurius solubilis: Pain accompanied by swollen glands and sweating.

Do probiotics.

Here's info about vitamins and fever reduction, and fever and chicken pox, (applies to other viral illness):

http://www.alive.com/2684a9a2.php?su...read_cramb=153

http://www.moondragon.org/obgyn/pedi...hickenpox.html

A couple of months ago, ds had fever, diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy. Temp max 104. We gave a homeopathic specifically for those symptoms and he was significantly improved and got up to play and fever went down.

HTH, Pat

·
Registered
463 Posts
Is she too little for ice chips made from juice (freeze juice in cubes and then chop it) or popsicles?

Personally, I would probably take her to the ER. No, IVs are not fun, but dehydration is so dangerous in little ones. My twins have been HOSPITALIZED (2 to 4 days each time) for dehydration from GI viruses.

I took my 8 m.o. daughter to the ER at Children's because she was vomiting a lot and not keeping anything down. They sent her home w/o an IV. I took her back to a different ER less than 24 hours later because I couldn't get her to drink enough. The triage nurse whisked her to the back and personally started trying to get an IV started. She was so dehydrated and tiny that it was extremely difficult. It was bad enough that NO ONE was at hte triage desk for nearly 20 minutes while the triage and charge nurse tried to get an IV started. Very scary. I err on the side of ER visits for dehyration. They have been admitted to the hospital each time, even when I was sure we were just going to get an IV. It's just so dangerous when they are little.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Chicken broth is one of the best natural electrolyte sources out there. If she'll take spoonfuls of chicken broth instead of water, it would be more effective.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She is getting better at drinking and got her appetite back a few days ago. She actually did even have chicken broth last night. I know she's not dehydrated. I just want to make sure she STAYS hydrated as her body fights this infection as to of course avoid the hospital and IV. She has a double ear infection now. Ear drum ruptured this weekend. I felt no choice but to give her antibiotics (which I so deeply dreaded). Today she's sleeping a lot. I just hope it means her body is fighting this nasty infection. Keeping in touch w/my health care provider who told me she seems to be on track considering what her little body is going through. I'm a first time mom and I can't believe the worry I feel for my little angel. I'm getting sick over it myself. Anyway, thanks everyone. I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't really know what probiotics are, except assume they're the opposite of ANTIbiotics!!!! (PS WuWei thank you for compliling all that info previously, it supported my reasoning for feeling so sick over giving her these meds, but one comment did say kids under 2, double ear infection, antibiotics could possibly work - however, I'm not so sure as she's still not better and they started Friday.)

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haley's Mom View Post
But about Pedialite - doesn't it have lots of sodium and is intended for when children get dehydrated from losing fluids & electrolites from vomiting or diarreah?
We make our own.

Fluoride free water
honey
sea salt (actually we use Himalayan salt)

Mix to taste.

She'll drink again as soon as the fever subsides a bit. Kids seem to not be thirsty when they run a fever but they catch up as soon as it goes down.

Have the home make Pedialite ready for her. We call it our super duper strengthening drink (for the little ones, not for dh
).

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haley's Mom View Post
I don't really know what probiotics are, except assume they're the opposite of ANTIbiotics!!!! (PS WuWei thank you for compliling all that info previously, it supported my reasoning for feeling so sick over giving her these meds, but one comment did say kids under 2, double ear infection, antibiotics could possibly work - however, I'm not so sure as she's still not better and they started Friday.)
Ahhh... I didn't read the whole thread. So you are giving abx? Gosh, I wish you could have tried something else first. There is so much you can do. Anyway, that's for next time -
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=406779

probiotics are exactly what you said. They build the "good" bacteria back up again after abx destroys all bacteria, good and bad.
You can get it at the hfs or a natural foods store. (Not GNC).

Make sure it is for her age since we carry different bacteria in the gut at various ages.

I know you asked WuWei and she'll still respond, I am sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really appreciate all this info. The thing is, I don't want to give in to "mainstream medicine" most of the time - but I don't feel educated enough about natural remedies and when it's crunch time, like after 5 days of monitoring an ear infection with no change and now baby's crying .. pediatrician saying "Ok, now the OTHER ear is really infected - definitely give her antibiotics" I feel that I can't argue because I don't know enough. Especially because she was Ok with me waiting it out originally. And the bottom line is, of course I want to do what's best for my little angel.

OK, thanks for listening ...

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Waiting it out actually does not mean the same thing for everyone. For me it means doing everything natural I can think of (and I've got a lot) while waiting to see if it resolves in that way.

For some waiting it out might mean doing nothing except well...waiting.

But ultimately you have to do what is best for you.

Here is a book I really love - Healthy Babies, Healthy Children by Aviva Jill Romm

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just wanted to post to update on how this whole ear infection thing panned out. Last week Haley woke up covered from head to toe in hives - allergic to Amoxicillin. After dreading giving it to her in the first place - it didn't even work (I know I know, everything I read told me so but I did it anyway out of fear) and she's allergic. "Bad" ear was still oozing after almost a week since the rupture and health care practioner said it was a mess still. So, got new drops and a visit with a new hcp who cleaned out Haley's ear (boy was I dying to do that myself!) so the drops could actually reach the darn middle ear and she started acting more herself yesterday and even more so today. So, we're on the mend. Finally. Prayers answered. Another lesson learned by a new mom. Thank you everyone.

PS I stopped probiotics after 2 days b/c I was afraid to give her anything new since she had the reaction. Any advice on that? Think it's safe to go back?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.