Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd takes about 11 oz when I'm gone from home. For some reason, I am lucky to pump 5 oz while at work. I know I let down for the baby and that she gets milk from me, but I seem to have trouble letting down for the pump. I've used pics, visualization, relaxation, drunk water and on and on.

I know there is milk there because I see it when I take the pump off and compress my breast.

What else can I do?

I'm also worried about my supply going down because I can't get the milk of out of me with the pump.

Should I try hand expression?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Try hand expressing. I get a ton more milk that way. I don't know how feasible it is for you but I get a a big tupperware bowl and use that to catch the milk. Have you tried pumping in the morning before you go to work. Nurse your DD and hook the pump up to the other side. You'll be surprised how much milk you can get out. Also try audio stimulation. Make a tape of your baby crying or playing and listen to it on head phones. The sound of DD crying always gets me to let down. I hope that helps.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I posted on your other thread, but I would definitely try hand expression. Also, do you know if your horns are the right size? One size does not fit all. There are bigger and smaller ones depending on what size you might need. Have you checked/replaced the tubing/membranes etc.? With a lot of use they wear out and need to be replaced. Are you setting your pump high enough? Are you massaging and bending over and jiggling your breasts before pumping? Do you do breast compressions while pumping? That always helped me a lot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.