Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any advice for me? My 6 week old DD is sleeping so well at night, only waking me once to feed her. It's usually about 3-4am, and when she's done she rolls over next to DH and falls back asleep. However, *I* am awake until I get up at 6 to go to work!!! I usually can fall asleep about 5:45. This has happened for the last 3 nights and I am, needless to say, really feeling it. I'm a teacher so I need to be on my toes and not listless like I've felt the last few days.
: It didn't matter in the summer because I could sleep during the day, but now I don't know what to do and I REALLY don't want to take meds. That would also be bad for the co-sleeing issue. I don't want to be so out of it that I roll over onto her or something. Any suggestions or do I just have to deal with this and be tired everyday?

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Mayamama, I'm not sure this will be a popular opinion
: , but it's what worked for us.
After she nurses her fill in bed, I put DD in a bassinet that is pulled up right beside our bed. She is just two feet away from me, but for whatever reason, having her not be actually IN my bed lets me sleep. Then when she wakes again to eat I just put her back in our bed and keep her there. By that point I've already established sleep for the night and can get back to it. But to this day I have trouble going to sleep with her in the bed, even though I wake up with her in it every morning.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I have dealt with this problem a LOT!! Even if the kids are sleeping well, if I'm woken up, I can't get back to sleep, knowing that my alarm is set and I'll have to wake up soon! Just counting the hours and minutes! Whatever you do, don't look at the clock when you wake up.

Also, the only thing that helped me was to listen to the hypnobabies 'peaceful sleep now' cd, or the steve halpern ocean suite music (the same music that is on the hypnobirthing relaxation cd's) I'm sure there are other relaxation or sleep cd's that might help. I had them put onto the ipod and kept the ipod in bed with me so I could listen to it to fall asleep.

Also, I keep lavendar spray at the bedside, and a lavendar scented eye pillow. Not sure if that actually works, but it smells good and makes me feel like I'm doing something to help.

There are also a lot of different herbal things that can help induce sleep or relaxation you might want to try.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Have you tried some chamomile tea? It's not as strong as a sleeping pill (I don't think it'd zonk you out to the point of rolling onto your babe), but I think that the chamomile as well as the warmth might be enough to lull you back to sleep.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've dealt with a lot of insomnia since my dd was born....actually quit worse than yours, so I don;t know how heavy of artillery you need. (I was sleeping 3 hours a night many nights, and getting up at all times, even without being woken). i am still sensitive, even with my dd 14 months old, in her own bed, and Papa taking care of night wakings.

I was given this advice about insomnia :
don;t turn on lights, don;t get up and do anything.
many people report success by recounting a familiar movie in their mind, nothing too exciting something you've seen a lot maybe)
don't have any caffeine or chocolate at all ever
don;t exercise before bedtime
have a bedtime routine
try to go to sleep and wake at the same time (as much as you can influence this with a baby!)

I ended up buying some Valerian, which often helps me relax and stop worrying abou falling sleep....but it doesn;t really work for me when I wake in the night, just helps me if I'm wound up at bedtime. this is a powerful herb (though i think less powerful than many other options) but you need to consider that and consult an herbalist.

good luck and good sleep!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.