Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My laundry routine has always involved washing all the clothes on cold using a minimal amount of detergent. Well, now that DS is older, I'm finding that's just not working to get our (his) clothes clean. DS loves to play in the dirt, and afterward, his clothes will be brown, no matter what color they started out. And this dirt doesn't come out completely when I wash the clothes.<br><br>
I've started using massive amounts of Shout out of desperation, but I really, really don't like doing this. Of course, I also don't like having all of his clothes permanently brown! I've also been adding a generous scoop of Oxyclean to the wash, but they still come out brown.<br><br>
So, wise mamas, what can I do? Please, please help!

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Have you tried presoaking? Have a bucket of water with some detergent in it & soak overnight before you wash. My MIL does this & I'm always amazed at what she can get clean.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Play clothes? I know that works for some people, not the ones in my house, but some.<br><br>
Actually, I will soak the whites (you could just soak ds) in my laundry room trash can. I just take out the liner bag, fill the trash can with water and some oxy clean and let it soak while I do the rest of the laundry. The whites are the last load I do. Not only does it get the clothes cleaner, my trash can is nice and tidy too!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
buy more brown and dark colored clothes!<br><br>
I've also found that busy prints hide stains better.<br><br>
for my dd it's grass stains. She gets them from recess at school so I can't do "play clothes". Tide works for us, usually don't even need to pre-treat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts