Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coughing and have a bad sore throat. We're organic people and I won't take Robitussin at this point (which I've heard is safe while preg)...any other recommendations that are more natural? I've taken some slippery elm.

I'm super paranoid just b/c I've had complications so I'm getting scared that I'm going to cough so hard my water breaks or something. I have those coughs that you can't control and they just keep coming until you start gagging.

I'm also underweight and fear losing more weight will not be good for the baby. But irritating my throat doesn't sound fun either.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Eat a spoon full of honey and sip tea. Chris had a bad sore throat all last week and I gave him tea and honey and it went away within a few hours.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I just got over an allergy cough, sipping hot tea, sucking on Lemon Drops, and using a saline nasal spray really helped. We were traveling at the time, or I would have also hooked up the humidifier. Feel better soon!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any advice on the cough. For the sore throat my family usually gargles with warm salt water. We use iodized salt and warm water, mix, gargle and spit a 3-4 times. Do not swallow. Relief comes in about 1/2 hour and works like a charm every time!

Hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Good suggestions. Also I've discovered taking garlic (a clove chopped up) in a spoonful of honey, with a chaser of water or you might gag a little, really shortens my illnesses.
Also foot massages, rubbing the two toes after the big toe I believe. Chest rubs, steam showers, put a couple drops of eucalyptus in the bottom of the shower. Chicken broth/ soup is also amazing for illness and good for you too. You can add some noodles and kale for some extra nutrients and calories. if you don't feel like making it even canned soup helps me feels better.
And scrambled eggs tend to go down well and not irritate.
In my experience Robotussin and all that doesn't work anyway.
I hope you feel better soon!

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Some red pepper flakes (or something else spicy) in the chicken noodle soup really helps with congestion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.