Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a question for u ladies my son just had his 9 month appt he weighs 21 lbs 12 oz and is 29.5 inches long and that is all breastmilk yeah me lol<br><br>
but at the appt they did the iron level and it was low not too bad but my doc wanted me to start solids still have not cause my son is not ready he doesnt like me to feed him and he doesnt like to feed himself and i dont agree with force feeding soo iam waiting him out lol it is one long wait<br><br>
but anyways the iron level was not that low but she wanted me to give a supplement and ground beef which i dont want to do i want to do things as natural as possible and she knows that<br><br>
and my famly has tummy problem where we cant eat alot of meat grains or dairy it is hard to digest soo i was trying to adviod all that until he was well over 1 yr i feel like i dont have a choice in the iron supplement but is their anyway i can get him to eat solids and i hate that i have to force the supplement<br><br>
has anybody been through the same thing or soemthing like it<br><br>
ayah

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at his 6 month appt they told me his iron levels were low and i increased my iron level hopeing it would help him but it didnt work cause it went even lower<br><br>
i really want to stop the iron supplement very soon it is only day 2 on it but i hope some one can help me soo i can stop them or do other stuff<br><br>
ayah

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
If they're just a little low I wouldn't worry. I WOULD focus on iron rich foods as soon as you do start solids. Starting any solids will interfere with the absorbtion of iron in your milk. Also when you start solids look for vitamin C rich foods too (or supplement- sodium ascorbate is the best) because vitamin C is needed for iron absorbtion.<br><br>
-Angela

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Well, how about introducing some foods - not as 'force feed him' but to give him some practice in playing with him. If he ingests them, great, if not, oh well. You can try feeding him a few bites, and then give him the spoon and let him go. Or cut them into fine pieces and let him play. His behavior is telling you that he's being cautious about what he ingests - which is a good thing and probably means that he does have some food sensitivities/allergies.<br><br>
If you want to try to boost his iron without meat, you can try<br>
-dried beans (including kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils)<br>
-winter squash<br>
-sweet potatoes<br>
-greens (spinach, broccoli, beet, kale)<br>
- dried fruit (figs, apricots, prunes, raisins)<br>
- prune juice** a very good source - just don't give too much<br>
-tofu<br>
-grains (cooked cracked wheat, wheat germ, cornmeal, oatmeal, millet, brown rice, farina, bran) - I'd start with millet or brown rice and not do wheat until 12 mos at least.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts