Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions for making velveeta from scratch? I have a recipe calling for velveeta. I'm assuming I can just sub milk and cheese?

TIA

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Sometimes I make a cheese sauce. It is a white sauce (butter, flour, milk) then add cheese. It comes out pretty smoothly. Oh, but I just had an idea. Once on Alton Brown, he made two kinds of mac and cheese. One was traditional in the oven kind, the other was "stove-top" ie. Kraft style. I think the recipe used evaporated milk. Let's see. . .

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci...ml?rsrc=search

Maybe you can figure out something from that recipe.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I've seen a recipe for homemade velveeta. Trust me, you don't want to make that slop.

Just make a basic cheese sauce... the Alton Brown link is very good. It's very easy to make a cream sauce, and all you have to do at that point is add cheese.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I made a cheese sauce in the double broiler - so over, not in boiling water- the other day that turned out pretty good. I put chunks of cheddar cheese and once they started melting I added milk, and kept stirring and adding milk until it was the right consistency.

You really have to keep it over the boiling water until you are ready to serve or use it, otherwise the texture goes weird as it cools.

If you want to make it spicy, you can add some canned peeled tomatoes along with some the juice, and a few chopped jalapenos.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
do you have a food processor or a magic bullet? I make a cheese sauce in my magic bullet often to go over noodles. I just put in whatever I have handy, like cottage chesse, cream cheese, butter, cheddar... whatever works! throw it all in the microwave to soften it up and then hit puree.... always comes out smooth and tasty.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
If it has to stay melted, adding some acid like lemon juice or wine will keep the cheese liquid. that's how you'd make a cheese fondue sauce. I think if you'd want it to taste really cheesy like velveeta you'd need to put lots of cheese and less milk in your sauce.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.