Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that I need to have a scan with the radioactive isotopes. Today at 2 pm. I have looked it up in Hales. I'm planning to pump and dump for 24 hours. DD likes to nurse every 2 hours and latch on all night. How are we going to get through this????

My dd is nearly 3 but not anywhere close to weaning. She also has a bunch of food allergies and other related health issues so it is hard to know which way to lean on this one.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
What is that? Like a CT scan with barium? Crap I had one this weekend and didn't know I would need to not nurse!!! Is it really bad?

As far as not nursing, there have been a few times I've done it for 24 hours and it's been fine. I even had to leave my 2yo for 10 days because of a death in the family and the first thing he said when I got back was "can I nurse?"

Distraction is key. It will help if Dad or Grandparents can take them to do something where they won't see you as much.

HOpe everything's ok!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is because I need the radioactive iodine injected into my blood.

Hale says that it is an L3. Unfortunatly this one hasn't been studied at all. The lab's CYA responce was pump and dump for 48 hours. After looking at the risks (hale explained how this medicatin works) and my dd's health we decided that the safest course is to pump like crazy for 24 hours. If she didn't have health issues already I wouldn't feel so nervous about this but I don't want to make her worse.

Not sure if I want this test to show something wrong (hernia, which would mean surgery) or not right now. It would feel more justified if there was something wrong but certainly be a lot worse for me if I need surgery.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I had the iodine shot too - which is different than the isotopes they use for a bone scan, I think...I hope? Anyway, I was in a morphine haze for a few days and I didn't even think that the iodine might be a problem. I hope my dd is ok!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your dc was exposed to radioactive stuff but it may have been quite minimal exposure. Depending on the stuff used it was probably either an L2 or L3 (according to Hale with L1 being the safest). Because of my dd's health issues I didn't feel comfortable with exposing her to the risk (mine was an L3)untill it is going to be greatly diminished in my milk if not gone.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
How did it go?

Really badly. I guess it could have been worse. We did get a little sleep. We both cried a lot. I learned some empathy for nursing moms who travel as I pumped in a stall in a airport bathroom.

Luckily it is over and she doesn't seem to be holding it against me.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry I didn't post the results. Thankfully they showed nothing wrong but an enlarged muscle. No idea why but it no longer hurts either. I was at least as nervous about facing possible surgery as I was about the scan and weaning dd so I'm glad I didn't need surgery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts