Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ty. I hate the point I'm getting at where i have to start pulling plants out. Our season is too short to really re-plant alot of them plus the pumpkin, cucumber and watermelon tend to take over the garden.lol

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
My pumpkin is taking over my yard too - it's nutty. And one plant that I thought was pumpkin, last night I pulled a leaf aside (dinner plate sized leaves! wowzers!) to check for lil punkins, and found a zuchinni the size of a football.
: I was told it'd be tough, but I made big slices and cooked em like hamburgers in a pan, and they were yummy.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I planted a forest too! My pumpkins have taken over half my yard and are even growing into my neighbors yard. My cucmbers and cantaloupe are growing out of control and I had no idea my tomato plants would get so large.. but my DS's are loving it and enjoying watching everything come up. They can't wait to sample things from our garden. The only thing I planted that isn't growing out of control and actually looks quite sad are my spinach plants. I don't know what I did wrong with them.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Wow your garden looks great! We had pumpkins a year or so ago. They spilled out of their flower bed, covered over the path and started growing up the front step! I was constantly cutting them back. I practically had to hack a path to reach my front door. Unfortunately my pumpkins didn't come to much. They started growing then stopped and went mouldy.

This year I had a better set up. I planted my seedlings out in May when we had good weather, but the very next day it turned wintery again and every single one of my pumpkin plants died. I'd planted decorative gourds as well and they died. Hopefully I will do better next year. Not had any luck with tomatoes this year either. I have come to the conclusion that you can only grow tomatoes in a greenhouse here in Scotland.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks, it doesn't look as good anymore. I'll be pulling 1 row of peas in 2-3 days and the rest probably by the end of the week. That will leave a large gap, but large enough for the pumpkin, watermelon and cucumber.

They keep trying to get into the neighbor's yard and I keep pulling them back through the fence. I don't like those neighbors so they can't have my plants.lol They keep trying to get through my chain link to go into my grass. they did last year but I'd like to keep them out this year so dh doesn't weedwack them again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts