Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my 23 mo DD has a cold sore
. We were just in to the ped last week for a high fever that was caused by a sinus/ear infection. I am beginning to wonder now if maybe the fever could have been caused by the herpes virus because I have read that sometimes with the initial outbreak a high fever happens. I am pretty sure it is a cold sore and I am pretty sure I gave it to her. About a week ago thinking back I thought I was getting a cold sore but it was really mild and went away w/in 2 days so I thought it was just a false alarm. I feel so stupid now. I wasn't as careful as I usually am when I have cold sores, and she for the first time in months has been more affectionate with giving kisses.

I am wondering if there are any remedies I might try that aren't Abreva or Campho phenique because I don't think she is old enough for those kind of treatments. I heard that L-Lysine the amino acid works to help shorten the duration of the sore and I know it is available in a topical lip balm but I don't know if she is old enough for that either. Any help/advice is much appreciated I know how to treat cold sores for myself but have no idea on how to treat them in a toddler.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hey - don't feel bad. Cold sores are SUPER common. I had one in first grade, and I have NO idea who gave it to me. I'm sure it was someone in the family - but, who, when where - I don't know. I remember getting recurring cold sores in first and second grade ALL the time.

I haven't had one since second grade, fortunately. Though, I have no clue why they suddenly stopped recurring. We didn't use anything for them - just let them be.

Anyway, I have no advice, but just wanted to chime in with support.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Lemon Balm!

It's really amazing...after having a few outbreaks a year my whole life, I've gone to 0 in the last 2 and a half years after using lemon balm salve.

I researched it after DH started getting them (heartbreak!)...now I can stop any little bumps from developing on him by applying the lemon balm salve a few times a day. Hopefully someday it will be gone for him too.

I order it from Wise Ways Herbals.

I vowed to post this here in case any moms were searching for natural remedies like I was.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just be careful she doesn't touch the sore and then touch her eye - you can get cold sores on the eye and they're very dangerous. I know because my dd got one there when she was almost 2 (pretty sure it was from me - so sad
) and it was very scary. Not to make you worry too much, it's pretty rare, but just be aware and do lots of hand washing, teach her not to touch the sore and rub her eyes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts