Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD2 is turning ONE this week!! DH has basically *put up with* co-sleeping for a lot longer than I thought he would. He was/is very against it, we didn't co-sleep w/DD1 and I started w/DD2 since I figured, "now I've got 2 kids, I can't nap whenever I want.."

Soooo....I appreciate that he's (although begrudgingly) let us do it for this long, and now I think she & I are also ready to give it up. Now, without
: - does anyone have ideas/suggestions how to transition to the crib full-time?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarbear View Post
No Cry Sleep Solution has some good ideas for transitioning... I haven't tried it myself though.
Hey thanks, I totally forgot that book is in our LLL Library!!

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I would get your babe to STTN and then worry about moving out so that you don't have to get up in the middle of the night, but thats just me. I like Dr Jay Gordon's method for nightweaning.

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp

If my DD slept all night long I would move her out of my bed and into hers in a heartbeat. I love her but I don't love getting kicked in the head at 2am.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Why are YOU ready? And what makes you think DD is? Honest questions, not sarcastic. I think your reasons are important, and, though I could very well be totally wrong, I don't think your DD will be ready. She's still a baby, or little more, and still needs that closeness.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
Why are YOU ready? And what makes you think DD is?
DD seems quite restless these days... I could be wrong, but factor in that DH isn't on board w/cosleeping and has "put up with it" for a year, I'm ready to do my part of compromising. I don't mind cosleeping, but I do feel that a partner's feelings need to be considered and he's been considering mine for quite some time.... I came here looking for advice anyone might have to make a smooth transition.

·
Registered
149 Posts
In my opinion, if you're ready to stop co-sleeping then you should. I have been there where I was just so tired I became delusional. I think a parent should stop co-sleeping BEFORE the point of delusion. Frankly, it's too dangerous once you're there. So even if your dd is not ready, but you are, it is my opinion that you should just go for it. After all, I think it is better for a one-year-old to have to learn to sleep on her own than to have a tired & ineffective mom taking care of her 24/7. We don't live in villages anymore where we'd get lots more help so sometimes sacrifices need to be made. I don't have any suggestions for you for how to quit co-sleeping (sorry), but I wish you luck. I'm sure you will find something that works well for the family.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamada View Post
We don't live in villages anymore where we'd get lots more help so sometimes sacrifices need to be made.
I totally agree. That said how you go about doing it depends in part on how used to the crib she is? If shes never spent time there it will take a lot longer. I did a deal where I put her down, sometimes she stayed asleep. If she woke Id comfort in increasing degrees of closeness until she fell asleep or got sleepy and put her down again. Repeat ad nauseum until one of you gives up then do it again at the next waking. Sometimes Id give up and take her back to bed with me if she got too upset and try again the next time I was awake enought to notice her in bed with me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
We're slowly but surely transitioning the to crib right now. It's working for us. We put DS (almost 10 months) to bed in his crib around 9:30 (he's always gone to bed at the same time we do) and he sleeps there until any time between 12:30 (on a restless night) and 6:15 (on a heavenly night of uninterupted sleep for DH and me!). After he wakes, we bring him to our bed to nurse and either take him back to his crib (if I'm still awake after he goes back to sleep) or put him in his co-sleeper or in bed with us. Our theory is that he will sleep longer and longer in his crib as he's ready. I guess my only saving grace is that my DH is willing to get up and get him for me when he wakes up. I couldn't do it without him. So far, it's been working well and he consistently sleeps for 5-7 hours before waking up on most nights.
Best to you and your family,
Sarah*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.