Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My infant has gotten severe diarrea from my breastmilk. When I switch to formula it clears up and no more diarrea. I have saline breast implants, so I was wondering if they were infected in some way, if that was getting into the breastmilk. The same thing happened with my son. He had uncontrollable diarrea every time I breastfed him. When I would stop it would clear up. Does anyone know a way to get that tested? I've asked my doctor and I'm not getting anywhere. They just tell me that it is normal for an infant to get diarrea the first few months. All the research I've read says that more than 8 Bm's a day is too much, and my baby is definately having more than that. My baby has bowel movements sometimes four times between feedings. I've also read that 400-500 kids die per year from diarrea because of dehydration. For now I have stopped breastfeeding and am just pumping out until I can find out how to get my milk tested. My baby is on formula and if I can't figure this out then in a couple of weeks I will try once more to breastfeed and if the diarrea happens again right away then I will be forced to give up on the breastmilk, which I really don't want to do. Help! Please let me know of any similar problems and what you did or if you have some advice. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
First, what do your baby's poops look like? Normal bfed poops?

According to Kellymom:

Quote:
Diarrhea in a breastfed baby is diagnosed when a baby has 12-16 stools per day (or more often than the baby's regular stool frequency), watery stools, and an offensive odor to the stools. Just one of these symptoms does not in itself mean the baby has diarrhea.
http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne....html#vomiting

Diarrhea becomes an issue if it causes dehydration. Is your baby showing any of the common signs of deyhdration?

Quote:
fewer than 2 wet diapers in a 24-hour period
baby not behaving normally (more irritable, less active, sleeping more)
lethargy
listlessness
weak cry
no tears (in an infant older than 3 months)
dry mouth
skin that stays wrinkly-looking when pinched (pull up the skin on the front of the hand; it should pop easily back into place - not stay pinched or wrinkly-looking)
eyes that look sunken
cool, clammy extremities, especially the fingers and toes
fast breathing, or a heart that is beating faster than usual
fever
DD pooped almost constantly. Before, during and after feedings. She was mildly diary sensitive (I cut out dairy products for quite a while) but mostly she was just a VERY poopy baby. She pooped enough that her little but got rather raw and we had to air her constantly, but the pediatrician said she was just on one side of "normal" (healthy, she just pooped so much her butt got sore).

Many people mistake healthy bfed poops (yellowish in color, very thin and seedy) for diarrhea.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
I think normal newborn poop looks like diarreah.
Also you say sometimes 4 poops during eat feed but perhaps its just slow to come out. I know many babies who poo like that, including my niece. She just lets it out a little at time.

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
My MIL visited when dd was about 5 weeks old...each time I changed a diaper she said "diarrhea" and I said "no that's normal bf poop"

I don't think she ever believed me...then one day she was telling her sister and I finally lost my patience..."I said she does not and never has had diarrhea she has normal bm poop same as all my children have had...no difference" and her sister agreed with me.."oh yeah, it's very different when they are bf and more natural that way"

Now maybe your baby has diarrhea but maybe it's just normal bm poop...do you have a bfing friend who you can ask to check it for you? Or a LC...most dr.'s have never seen bm poop either so they probably can't help you.

my last baby pooped everytime she peed...very frequently...

hope you get an answer soon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My baby did have diarrhrea when she was little - green, mucusy poops. The pediatrician took one look at it, and told me she was allergic to something in my diet (in my case, wheat and dairy). You might want to look at eliminating foods from your diet to see if that helps. Common allergens are dairy, wheat, corn, soy, nuts, and chocolate.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Green, mucousy poops can also be not getting enough hind milk. I think that was our issue. DD had green, mucousy, stringy poops until she was about 6 weeks old. Also she was not gaining weight. Then my milk kicked in good. Now we have "normal" diapers and are gaining weight.

BTW, I would and did ask my nursing friend to look at it.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
My 4 week old poops 8-10 times a day, normal bf poops, yellowish and seedy and liquidy. If an adult or older child had poop like this it would seem to be diarrea but it is normal for bf babies. My 2 1/2 year old pooped this way until she started adding in solids and honestly still has softer and more frequent poops than normal. The ped said it was because she eats a healthy diet and there isn't alot of fillers to bulk up the stool. He said formula and junkfood will cause firmer stools since there is so much in it that babies and kids can't digest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts