Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I got a tattoo Thursday evening and I think it may be starting to get infected. It doesn't look bad now, but it is warm and slightly red around the tattoo and there is a bit of oozing. I can't tell if the oozing is pus or just fluid because of the ink. As per the tattoo artist's orders, I am washing the tat three times a day with antibacterial soap and applying aquaphor. He told me not to bandage it any. I don't want to take antibiotics if it is infected, what should I do?

· Registered
4,470 Posts
Ouch!
It was only a few days ago right? It might just be in the healing stages.

I found this on-line

Quote:
A skin infection may be present if any of the following symptoms are present after having a tattoo or body piercing:

* Increased pain
* Major Swelling
* Large amounds of redness
* Very tender skin even after the tattoo has healed
* Red streaks extending from the area
* Pus coming from the wound
* Swollen or tender lymph nodes
* Fever

Infection may start at the tattoo or piercing site on the surface of the skin. The normal clear or clear-yellow fluid that drains from a body piercing site may change to creamy yellow, brown, or red or look or smell like pus.
Am stop washing it so much. After the first day or two you only need to once a day. Just use the ointment. I used A&D vitamin for the first few days and then something called "tattoo goo"

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Ack. I think it is on its way to being infected. The part that is the problem is the part with the most ink - so I guess it could just be recovering. But the fact that it is warm around it concerns me. There is a sort of goo covering it - I cannot tell if it is pus because of the ink. Ack. I hope it is ok!

· Registered
2,963 Posts
New tats are normally slightly red and slightly warm... the skin did take a big pounding. Almost all will get oozy/crusty when healing. Just depends on your body and how deep the tat artist went... I had one "deep" part on one of mine that seeped for about a week. I wouldn't wash so much, though. What area of the body is the tat on? Is it getting fresh air?
Get some Tattoo Goo (all natural!). It's incredible for mild swelling. Cold compresses are also good.

· Registered
564 Posts
Coming form someone with a lot of tattoos what you are describing is normal. Once you have washed it just leave it no need to wash it 3 times a day. No need for goo or lotions either, a good lotion is nice if the dryness bothers you while it heals.

You can always check bmezine.com for aftercare techniques.
good luck

· Registered
731 Posts
I agree with the PPs.
I have 7 tats and they all did that. Slightly warm and red is normal and the oozing is probably the scab trying to form.
I also agree with no washing it so much. It will heal faster if you leave it alone for the most part.
Just keep an eye on it
Misha

· Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone! It is looking much better. I was at a bike race all yesterday in the sun so I wore long pants and put a non stick bandage loosely over it so it wouldn't rub or get sun. Oh, it would help to mention the tattoo is on my calf. Anyway, it oozed a ton onto the bandage, which seemed to help it dry out some. I quit all the washing and have let it get much drier and it is looking a lot better. It's so annoying that the tat artist told me to wash it so much! I think the reason it is oozing so much is that there is a LOT of ink in that area. Anyway, looking better and I will try to get some tattoo goo! Thanks again for the reassurance!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.