Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And yes, I read the sticky, but I wanted this to be geared towards an older child (the sticky seemed towards infants, and I need help quick!)<br><br>
I will soon be transitioning from a SAHM to a WOHM (about 25-hours a week). I am quite literally going to be out of money in a month, so I will begin working very soon.<br><br>
I have an interview with a woman who has a licensed childcare facility in her home. She is a former waldorf teacher and all of the kids in her home are from waldorfy (is that a word?) families. She does not own a tv, does organic foods, has wooden toys, cloth diapers, nurses her 3-year old, so I feel that she will be supportive of my beliefs. Ds will be the youngest one there, and I really like that she doesn't accept little babies. There will be a total of 4-5 kids, depending on the day. The ages range from 15 months to 5 years.<br><br>
If ds is only there for 5 hours a day, do I leave BM? How much? He still is nursing more than eating, so I know he's got to have milk just-in-case (although I don't know if he'll take it from a cup!) He rejected solids until recently, so this will be a huge transition for him in many ways. Luckily he loves pretty much everyone, so hopefully that will make a difference.<br><br>
Do you have suggestions on how to prepare him for napping with someone else? She doesn't CIO, but I know it will still be a bit hard at first.<br><br>
Do I try it out for a week before starting work to test it out, or do I start him on my first day of work? I've been a single, SAHM for over a year now, so this is going to be a tough new routine to break into.<br><br>
Now, all the research I've done comes up with questions about infants. What do I ask in reference to my toddler? I am at a total loss!<br><br>
I haven't even met her, and I feel that she will probably be the only one I'd allow to care for ds. There aren't a lot of facilities around here. I know of one place that regularly uses TV, and they also bottle prop babies. So it's not like I really have a lot of choice.<br><br>
Thanks! I'm actually quite excited about working part-time. I feel like it's a whole new chapter in my life and I will be doing something for the greater good of both me and ds.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I have a 16mo DD and she started back at 11.5 months so there might be some similarities.<br><br>
For DD I leave around 12oz of milk for 8.5 hours. She started eating way more solids once she was in the day home. I am supplementing with cow's milk, so if it's 100% breast milk you might not need as much. Nurse before leaving the house and as soon as you pick him up and he'll be fine even if he doesn't adjust to bottles right away.<br><br>
I don't think that you can prepare your baby for napping with somebody else. My DD is prepared to go to sleep for DH or our DCP without nursing, but if I tried to pull that with her she'd be like 'what's the deal? I know there's milk in there!!' I think you just need to trust your DCP to find their own way. Mine lays down with DD and apparently she just passes out.<br><br>
For the adjustment period, I would try a few trials in the week or two before you go back to work. Your DCP will have advice and know what works. In our case, it took her a month to really adjust, so a week wouldn't make that much difference either way. A couple of trials beforehand though gave me a chance to get comfortable with the day home and how things were run.<br><br>
For screening questions...sounds like you've pretty much already checked her background, so I would ask about daily routine, how she handles naps and how she disciplines. When you go, observe the older kids - and notice how she is with them - you'll know if you like it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts