Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just arrived "home" since I've been pregnant and need to get a job so that I qualify for EI-maternity benefits (I'm in Canada). The problem is that I'm 4 months along. I'm not showing yet, but I feel really guilty applying for a job and just not telling them that I'll have to leave in October (I'll certainly be showing in a month). Two places I dropped off my resume to today both asked if I would make a year commitment. I know it's illegal to fire me on the basis of pregnancy once I've been hired but I would feel guilty manipulating an employer that way. My partner works full time but we do need the money...<br>
Anyone have any advice for me? Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Sorry that I don't know much about Canadian maternity benis, but what is EI-Maternity benefits? Do you have to take a regular ft job to qualify? Could you just take a temp job so that you aren't making any commitment & feeling guilty? Also, do you intend to go back to work after the baby is born? Some employers might be willing to "overlook" a pregnancy if you can assure them that you will come back, although I admit that many may discriminate against you & just not call it that!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Well, here's the thing, it is illegal to fire you based on your pregnancy, but I know that here in Ontario, for the first 3months you're employed, you can be terminated for any reason, and labeled as "not a fit" and there's pretty much nothing you can do about it. So basically an employer who found out you lied at your interview could fire you based on the color of your shoes and get away with it. Not that I'm saying it's right, and I'm not sure they would because it would look really bad on them, but it's possible. You need 17weeks of work to qualify for EI, or 400hours if you're part time. I don't know about your last job, but that could count towards it, depending on how you left... laid off, I presume? You can go on mat leave at 32weeks gestation if you want, or wait as long as you want.<br><br>
I don't know what I would do if I were you. If they didn't come right out and ask about how long your committment would be, then I probably wouldn't mention it, and there's no deception involved. I've done some hiring, and have hired women who I know now knew at the time they were pregnant, but it never came up, ya know? Good luck with the job hunt!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. Since I wrote the thread I have dropped off a few more resumes and have decided that honesty is the best policy. We live in a touristy town and there are some jobs that are seasonal. Potential employers that I've told haven't seemed to be put off by the pregnancy too much (at least not to my face) but I would guess that the edge I might otherwise have is not there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but the bottom line is that if I don't get a job we're not going to stress too much. Our last job was contract work on a yacht in the US (doesn't count towards the 600 hours I need) and we were able to save some money so we're not going to starve...<br>
Thanks again guys. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
726 Posts
good luck, gen!<br><br>
if you can make it through morning sickness on that boat, you can do pretty much anything, i'd say.<br><br>
*j

·
Registered
237 Posts
In the US the employer can't ask/talk about your pregnancy even if they know. I interviewed to move into a different job and they could not ask me anything about my pregnancy plans.<br><br>
In many ways I feel bad because I don't plan to return after the baby was born. But, the work situation is better for me in the new job.<br><br>
I was in your shoes with my last pregnancy, but I already had a bit of a bump. No one hired me. But, if you are honest and look for more seasonal jobs it could be beneficial for you and your employer.<br><br>
Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
My last pregnancy, my dh & I were strapped financially, but looking to move in 2 months time. We both put in resumes everywhere hoping to get a job and did not tell any of them that we were planning on moving. I was 5 months pregnant and starting to show, but I hid it the best I could and also did not bring that up. I felt terrible at the time, but we desperately needed money. I got hired finally at a nearby fast-food place, not my ideal place to work, with a college degree in hand, but money. On the second interview I brought up at the end that I was pregnant, but it didn't seem to be an issue. Six weeks into the job I gave two weeks notice and felt awful the whole time, but what do you do when you need money desperately just to survive and put food on the table? If I wasn't so strapped financially, I probably would have chosen to go the route you are going with the honesty and looking for temp./seasonal work.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I got hired for my dream job six weeks before giving birth to my dd--I held my pee the whole interview because I was afraid they'd talk about me when I was gone.<br><br>
Good luck. I think honesty is the best policy.<br><br>
Jesse

1 - 8 of 8 Posts