Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I was thinking of getting this movie as a Christmas present for DH and DD1, they love to watch movies together. But it has been ages and ages since I've seen it and I can't remember if there are scary parts. She is ok with most kids movies. Help!</p>
<p> </p>
<p><br>
 </p>

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
<p>I can't remember either, but I trust this site:</p>
<p><a href="http://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/neverending-story" target="_blank">http://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/neverending-story</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>The age recs aren't always spot-on for my kids, but I like the way they sum up the scary parts.</p>
<p>-e</p>

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
<p>We saw it (again) about 2 years ago I think? It was at the community theater, and I couldn't remember either. Our DD is unusually insensitive to scary stuff on TV. I mean, we're not showing her the X Files or anything, but sometimes I'm surprised (not proud of, just surprised) at what she's ok watching, and she never has nightmares. She did fine.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think it might be scary for most 4 year olds, though. There is a scary wolf. There is a really sad scene where Atreyu's horse dies. There's storms. I think that covers it, the rest is just good old action/adventure. You'd have to decide, I think if your kid CAN be scared of a movie, this one might be a bit scary. I think it's aimed toward 7 or 8 year olds.</p>

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
<p>I was terrified of it at seven or thereabouts, but it probably depends on the kid.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am bookmarking that commonsensemedia site!  Amazing!  Looking at it, I just know my DD1 would never make it through.  She hates stuff like that.</p>

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
<p>I always felt it was more upsetting than scary.  The whole sinking horse part can still make me cry if I think about it.</p>

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
<p>My son watched it last summer....not yet 3 and has watched it since then as well.  He enjoyed it.</p>

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
<p>DD watched part of it when she was 4. She started crying at the rock monster thing (which is fairly early) and we had to turn it off. I don't think she would have enjoyed the sinking horse part, either.</p>

·
Registered
813 Posts
<p>I got it for DD a few months ago and was really rather surprised that she was ok with it. I had forgotten a lot of what happens but figured that I watched it at four and didn't have any problems. My parents must have edited it for me or something, because what was shown would've normally scared the pants off me at that age! I don't even really care for it now, truth be told...Anyway, it didn't bother DD (4.5 btw). There were a few parts that I sat next to her through and made her close her eyes (the wolf part got a little gory). I think its really going to depend on your kid but there are definately parts that could scare/upset.</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts