Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a moisturizer for my face that is ALL natural! I thought that would be EASY, but I am mistaken. I bought some from a lady and in less that a week, it MOLDED!! I was trying to avoid methal/butel parbens, but maybe I need them to prevent the mold? TIA!! Oh, I want to use it under my makeup so nothing really heavy

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
You are right, there is no easy answer to "natural preservation". You found out the *gross* way that any water-based product must have an effective preservative to be safe. There are effective non-paraben preservative systems. But if someone tells you they sell a water-based product that is "preservative free" or that they use Vitamin E as a preservative (yeah I've actually heard that one
) or some other antioxidant like GSE or "all natural preservative"... no sale. Those are good for keeping oils fresh but don't stop the growth of mold, fungus and bacteria.

At this time there is no known effective "all natural" preservative known to the cosmetic industry. There are a few companies using a certain formula they claim to be preservative free or all natural, but it's still controversial. In addition, it's very common for a company not to list everything on the label. It's not legal but since the FDA doesn't have the resources to police every tiny detail of every company's production they usually get away with it.

Even when they don't they get a slap on the wrist, pay the fine and carry on. There's one well known company that repeatedly does this. They just figure sales will be high enough to factor in the fees!

That said, home crafters can use all the preservative they want but unless they have lab tests run on their batches they have no way of knowing if a batch is contaminated or not. And unless they have researched and tested their formula & they know what they are doing, they have no idea how their preservative system holds up over six months... nine months... a year... they might say "Oh, I have a bottle right here from last year and it's fine!" but the problem with that is unfortunately many bacteria don't smell bad, in fact some smell nice, and most are white or cream in color even after the colonies grow large enough to be seen... they are the exact same color as the lotion!

That's why I won't buy handmade or "preservative free" or "all natural" lotion... too many unknowns. I make my own, use a paraben free preservative, bottle small amounts and keep extra bottles in the fridge.

You can also make your own moisturizing body butter, and use it at night instead of just before applying makeup. If a product doesn't contain water, you don't need to add a preservative so that's an easy solution.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I just use straight up jojoba oil. Can't get more natural than that. It feels so good and it soaks in fast. "They" say it closely resembles our skins natural oils. I did add some EO to make it smell nice. Lavender and orange.

It did take a while to get used to. I kept feeling like I was smearing my oily skin w/ oil from my skin. But once you get used to it, it feels soooo good. It also helped when I read that it actually isn't an oil, it is a plant wax. It just has an oily texture.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THANK YOU Velcromom, for that great explaination!! That helps me out SO much. Now I know what I am looking for isn't really what I want.

I use some vit E oil, but I just can't do that under makeup. I also got a coconut oil based one that I like, but will just do my best with my new knowledge

Thanks, Messy mama, too. I may try some jojoba oil.

Happy to know the real scoop!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I mix jojoba oil and aloe vera gel (food grade), which makes it a little more moisturizer-like than plain jojoba oil. Jojoba oil is very dry, so I now add a little rosehip seed oil as well, which is a "wet" oil but also rejuvinates skin & heals scars etc. The oils are in bottles with droppers, so I pour a little bloop of aloe vera into my hand, add about 5 + drops of jojoba oil and 2+ drops of the rosehip oil. Mix them in my hands, then apply.

Oh and I keep the aloe vera in the fridge.

·
Registered
770 Posts
coconut oil changed my complexion entirely. my skin is sooo much clearer now. my skin is sensitive and even jojoba would make me break out. i also wash my face with honey sometimes which is a little moisturizing.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I wash my face with an all natural sugar scrub (no water in the sugar scrub, so no preservative needed) & if extra moisturizing is needed, I'll use the slightest bit of an all natural body butter (again, a true body butter doesn't have water in it (though I think many of the things in stores that are called "body butter" do have water in them) so preservative not needed.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I'm not sure if this is natural enough, but...
I bought some green tea moisturizer from Aubrey's this weekend. No parabens!
You have to give it a crazy amount of shaking to get it all smooth, but so far, I like it!

·
Registered
117 Posts
My skin has stayed dry since my pregnancy but I just use Olive oil or almond oil. It is a bit oily at first but after it absorbs it feels great.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I second (third?) anything by Aubrey Organics. I love their stuff. I also use Burt's Bees, their stuff is usually like 97% natural or higher. Right now I have the marshmallow moisturizing creme. Smells good enough to eat, lol.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I swipe my face/neck/back/chest/thighs with aloe vera after washing... it pretty much disappears under make-up. Not the gel type, but pure aloe juice. I'm not prone to breakouts at all, but I do notice my skin feels & looks smooth & soft.

I also notice a huge difference in my complexion when going a few days without sweating out impurities during some type of workout - either running or yoga. Working out often has been a main shield against bad skin for me. I also notice a negative reaction in my skin if I don't eat good foods/veggies, etc. for a few days in a row.

eta- I keep the aloe in the fridge too & also use chilean rosehip seed oil on my lips/cheeks, along with brushing my lips with a toothbrush while doing my teeth. I use the rosehip oil on any cuts or scrapes anywhere on my body, it helps with scarring issues... I love rosehip seed oil. It makes my childhood chickenpox scars less apparent too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts