Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was raised in a family of girls and not familiar with the "raisings of boys". I CAN NOT KEEP MY SON FED! He is 14, nearly 6 feet tall, 200 pounds and he is always starving.
Today I went to make myself a peanut butter sandwhich for lunch....THE PEANUT BUTTER WAS GONE!
:
Went for some health mix...GONE!
Yesterday it was a gallon of MILK!

He is a big kid, and I'm always worrying about his acceptance..I know..BUT MOMS WORRY..he is not hugely fat ..but I worry.

Does anyone else have a boy this age? Do they eat constantly??
He doesn't wish to eat when we do..as he has a friend over, he's gone somewhere etc..our family dinner time has EXCLUDED my son quite a bit this summer...but he seems to eat when we are out of the room, running an errand etc. I've been coming home to empty casserole dishes.... I'm not sure if he's honestly INHALING His food or what!

*sigh*..just wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
We had that issue when my brother was a teenager. His room was in the basement, and he'd appear every so often, take an entire loaf of bread, and go back down cellar. There were 5 kids in the family and not a lot of extra money so this was a big deal. But, yeah, whole gallons of milk GONE, big loaves of bread, GONE.

I don't know the solution, except maybe hide some food for the rest of you!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I encouraged him to eat breakfast this morning..."not hungry mom"....so I took my 11 yo daughter to enroll for school and came back to half a dozen eggs consumed (he did scramble them himself), I AM ASSUMING HE ATE PEANUT BUTTER
: and who knows what else.
He is "not hungry mom" at normal meal times. GGRRRR!!!

Maybe I'm just mean.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
You might want to have him help prepare some low-fat, cheap snacks with you, like popcorn. High-protein food may help him stay feeling full for longer, too; maybe have him find a dressing he likes on a three-bean salad.

·
Registered
8,678 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabbi
I encouraged him to eat breakfast this morning..."not hungry mom"....so I took my 11 yo daughter to enroll for school and came back to half a dozen eggs consumed (he did scramble them himself), I AM ASSUMING HE ATE PEANUT BUTTER
: and who knows what else.
He is "not hungry mom" at normal meal times. GGRRRR!!!

Maybe I'm just mean.

His body is on a different schedule than yours. The meal times are "normal" to you because you probably set the meal times. If you let him set the meal times, then he'd be hungry at "normal" times (and you'd be hungry at abnormal times.)

Just let him eat when he's hungry. He's growing. When he was a babe, hopefully you let him nurse when he was hungry and have as much as he needed. Well, it's the same situation here.

You aren't mean. Just boggled by the amount of food being consumed by your growing boy.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
my son is EXACTLY the same!!! always gone, has friends over...eating when we aren't. the schedule will definitely get better once school is back...but boys eat like crazy!!!!
when i say i worry about him eating, he always says "not hungry mom" but then food just disappears!!!!! exactly like you describe it.
unless he's overweight i wouldnt worry about the amt. my son is a pretty healthy 6'2 "kid"...he's nowhere near overweight or anywhere close to it, but he could (and does) eat us out of house and home sometimes!!!

the worst is that he wont tell me what to get him. and teenagers love the junk! he doesnt get it here, but he does get it somewhere (comes home with iced coffee, etc.).

good luck! this will last for a few more years!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Coming on to my third teenage boy, and mama, I feel your pain.

When my oldest ds was a teen, he'd come home from school, make a mixing bowl full of cereal, which he'd scarf down with a serving spoon, and two sandwiches, and say between bites, "Mom, what's for dinner?"
: He even charmed the lunch ladies at his middle school and high school into giving him 2 lunches. He's now over six feet and as skinny as a rail, I actually thought he had a tape worm or something.

Second ds is the same, he's 16 almost 17, and can eat amazing amounts of food.

Third ds wil be 12 this month, and he's an athlete so he burns a lotof fuel. He recently wowed the servers at Denny's by eating one of their enormous breakfasts (3 eggs, grits, 3 pancakes, sausage, bacon, ham, and hash browns) and then picking off every one else's plate.

It gets especially astounding right before they shoot up a few inches.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Ds is the friggin SAME and hes 12 and only 5 1 but MY GOD HE CAN EAT! Not hungry mom, at dinner and then whole loaves go missin later on.
: I dont know what to say other than, I might need to take on an extra job to feed him!

·
Registered
394 Posts
i have an 11yo ds and an 8 yo ds that eat as much as their father, and I feed them accordingly. I spend a small fortune on groceries every week and I make our meals from scratch. We have a second fridge to help cope and this one is filled with snacks and fruit and they can help themselves to it. They will demolish the contents in a week. Feed em up

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
If he's not hungry at mealtimes, could you fix him a plate to re-heat later? That way you at least know the meal he eats is pretty much healthy.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenkids
Coming on to my third teenage boy, and mama, I feel your pain.

When my oldest ds was a teen, he'd come home from school, make a mixing bowl full of cereal, which he'd scarf down with a serving spoon, and two sandwiches, and say between bites, "Mom, what's for dinner?"
: He even charmed the lunch ladies at his middle school and high school into giving him 2 lunches. He's now over six feet and as skinny as a rail, I actually thought he had a tape worm or something.

Second ds is the same, he's 16 almost 17, and can eat amazing amounts of food.

Third ds wil be 12 this month, and he's an athlete so he burns a lotof fuel. He recently wowed the servers at Denny's by eating one of their enormous breakfasts (3 eggs, grits, 3 pancakes, sausage, bacon, ham, and hash browns) and then picking off every one else's plate.

It gets especially astounding right before they shoot up a few inches.
And have you seen the Denny's commercial?? It's about a teenage boy getting "full"....or something like that!!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by FEDUP
Ds is the friggin SAME and hes 12 and only 5 1 but MY GOD HE CAN EAT! Not hungry mom, at dinner and then whole loaves go missin later on.
: I dont know what to say other than, I might need to take on an extra job to feed him!

Quote:
i have an 11yo ds and an 8 yo ds that eat as much as their father, and I feed them accordingly. I spend a small fortune on groceries every week and I make our meals from scratch. We have a second fridge to help cope and this one is filled with snacks and fruit and they can help themselves to it. They will demolish the contents in a week. Feed em up
I had asked around in another thread about what people spent on groceries..I am CONSTANTLY going to the grocery store. Last night i was not feeling well and I thought i would make a QUICK meal (no stone throwing) so I made a hamburger helper with some lean beef....IT WASN'T ENOUGH and DH and I only had about a cup which IS a serving size!!
:

·
Registered
121 Posts
This thread is almost toooo funny.

I don't have a DS, but that describes my DH to a T!

He will sit down and eat THREE footlong Subway Sandwhiches. And then asks what we're doing for dinner later.
:

I almost pity the day when we have a boy, heehee.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
I have an almost 11 year old boy that eats the same way too! Seriously, I get comments from his friends' mothers even about how much he puts away at their houses too.
:

If it means anything though, my DD has been going through the same thing too...she's 13, 5'1" and a whole 94 pounds sopping wet. She gained 3 inches over the summer though, which explains alot.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Oh, yeah, some boys can put it away at that age! My 12 1/2 yo DS can eat lots, but not a shocking amount yet. I remember, though, when I was a teenager watching my male friends eat and it is just amazing. We'd go for fast food and two teenage boys would put away 2-3 huge bags of food. My FIL went home every day for lunch while he was in HS and would eat a dozen baloney sandwiches, 3 large baked potatoes drowning in butter, and drink a quart of milk! That's the stuff of family legend, but of course he had monster growth to keep up with -- 6'5" by 14 years old.

I plan to try to bulk up my teenage sons' diets with dense, cheap foods as much as I can: beans, potatoes, whole grains. I hope they'll eat heaps of that stuff instead of always relying on fast food like my friends did when I was a kid!

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
I have a 15 year old son who eats a lot. He is a big boy. He stands 5'10" or so and weighs just over 200 lbs. He started out big too at 9 lbs 11oz

It's the age I swear it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tonight I was not feeling well....the "summer crud" given to me by my smallest. He shares.
I left the pan of pasta unsupervised..........i was scared to come back to nothing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have two 13 year old boys and they are eating us out of the house!! I buy groceries and snacks on Friday or Sat. and by Wed it's ALL gone!! I also have a boy and girl who are 7! They go thru a box of cereal a DAY and we go thru 5-7 gallons of milk a week! Summer time is the worst since they're home all day - the grocery bill should go down once school starts again!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Oh,man that was ME as a teen. I ate a serving bowl full of cereal and a cup of tea, a HUGE pastry at school with cocoa, lunch came home STARVING and would eat a big bowl of pasta with sauce and cheese, dinner, big snack, often a sandwich or more pasta.

And I was super skinny.

Try pasta dishes, leave casserols on purpose,(amc and cheese) cook for a few extra servings and leave it intentionally.

Cheese, peanut butter on wheat bread, crackers and either of the above, MEAT. LEft over chicken, loads of lettuce, BBQ sauce rolled up on a tortilla. Delicious. Any meat is filling.

Avocados, made into guacamole. Beans and rice, rolled up in that same tortilla, with salsa and sour cream. Filling and cheap.

If he's getting heavy it's easier to encourage more activity (put up a basketball hoop, go for bike rides, hike, join a gym, etc) than to ut back on food. He's gonna grow like crazy!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I still have little ones the oldest is 6 and we still are making food all day long. We always joke that we need to start saving for the adolescent years and the food bill! I have to say that if there is a weight issue already then he needs to become more aware of portions and food combinations. Cheap and healthy foods to have on hand so he can feed himself:
pinto Beans and brown rice only a small amount of cheese
Yogurt
Oatmeal
Tortillias and deli meat
salads
Soup and whole grain bread

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.