Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DD is very quickly approaching the height limit on her bucket. She is 6 months, 15 pounds and 28"- She is in the original Graco Snugride that goes to 22 pounds and 29 inches. Her head is approaching the top of the shell so it's time to move on.<br><br>
I'm undecided between:<br><br>
1) Snugride 35- Statistically, buckets are safest, aren't they? Should I buy this one to bridge the gap between her current seat and a convertible? I'd have to hope her growth slows, she's at the 95th % for length<br><br>
2) Radian XT- assuming she is going to continue to be tall, this would probably be the best seat long term, right? If her weight stays on the same curve, she can rear face till she's at least 5.<br><br>
I drive a 2001 Focus wagon, and we DO NOT have LATCH. I know next to nothing about car seats.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
No no, buckets are not safer than convertibles; if anything, having a stationary seat that is secured directly has less room for error vs a base + seat.<br><br>
The tallest shell on the market is the Safety 1st Complete Air, which is about an inch taller than the Radian and it allows the child's head to be even with the top of the shell, whereas with all other seats you have to have an inch of shell above the child's head. The Radian is a close second, of course, but it can be a PITA to install in some cars, and takes up more room front-to-back.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Very true that buckets are not safer. Any properly fitting rfing car seat is going to be essentially equally safe for her. For a long torsoed child I would definitely look into a complete air or radian. Go search over on car-seat.org to see if the radian will work with your vehicle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts