Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DP is afraid of cosleeping.<br>
help me convince him that it's for the best.<br><br>
everything i've come across (aside from some threads here at MDC) has been in favour of crib sleeping.<br><br>
and everyone tells me that if i let ds sleep with us that he'll never sleep by himself...<br><br>
i love cosleeping. it's amazingly convienient and ds seems so happy and willing to go to sleep in our bed.<br><br>
are there any good sites out there (other than this one) that our pro cosleeping?<br><br>
what would you say to your partner?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I would recommend checking out James McKenna's website & work - he's releasing a new book on cosleeping this year, but it's not out yet so might not be that useful. (I can send you the press release if you want it, but it's long so I won't include it unless you want it.) He's a sleep researcher at Notre Dame. Also, have you read Meredith Small's Our Babies, Ourselves? There's a great chapter on cosleeping. You could also look at Dr. Sears' work - his website is <a href="http://www.askdrsears.com" target="_blank">www.askdrsears.com</a>.<br><br>
When I broached the issue with dh, I told him that 95% of the world shares a bed with their lo, and that doing so is actually safer than having a baby sleep in a crib in his/her own room. I also approached it practically and said that if she wasn't going to sleep with us, and I wasn't going to be able to sleep as well, I was going to expect him to do 50% of the nighttime parenting - which meant that I expected him to get her from her bassinet, bring her to me, and then settle her down and get her back to sleep again. (My 50% was feeding her!) Not probably a fair tactic, but I felt really strongly about co-sleeping after I started doing it because like you said, it was so convenient and dd and I were so much happier. It took a little while for him to get used to her night noises, but now he hardly even notices them unless she's really thrashing about.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Another good book is "Good Nights" by Dr. Jay Gordon (a ped). Just a personal story too - ds1 coslept with us for 2.5 years. We then set up his room as a "big boy" room with the idea of gradually transitioning him into his own bed. Well, the first night, when putting on his pj's, he decided he wanted to sleep in his big boy bed. He's now 4 and has never turned back so it can be an easy transition.<br><br>
It sounds like for you too that co-sleeping just feels right. I say go with your gut and educate your dp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts