Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright my money is burning a hole in my hot little hand. I've been using a pattern that I got off ebay...fine, but I'm looking for something different. Now I'm overwhelmed by choice. I was pretty set on the DD pattern as it seemed to have great feedback and was reasonably priced (I'm kind of frugal). But...I want to hear other opinons. I like the fit I get w/tenderbeginnings or FCB. I like a lot of gathering around the legs (I think that's why I don't love the pattern I have now, the leg elastic is less gathered, sort of like a firefly.) I like AIO for running around, but pockets are my favorite and I think I'd do a combo of pockets and fitteds so a pattern that is easily adaptable or includes both is best. I also don't have a snappress and am not getting one, I'll use aplix or touch tape. I have a serger and sewing machine so either directions are fine.
Honeyboys, Very Baby, Chloestoes...my eyes are crossed
:
Thanks for opinions!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I love the Chloetoes...no turning and topstitching, and it has a wide range of sizes
HB is also very easy to sew. I've had all the patterns too, and it does get crazy
:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I have 5 patterns sitting all cut out and traced and ready to go and I'm having a hard time 'starting' on just one!

So I finally just decided to make a stack of 20x20 flats and so therefore I'm going to do a side snap cover set for newborn and smalls first....then I got into a dilemma over using elastic and covering with a binding or just using some of the FOE I have, but it's kinda thin, it's not the 1'' recommended stuff, it was a 'gift' from a friend....so now I have it ready to go, except for the binding!
:

But I want fitteds too...and that's where I'm wanting to do a few of each too
I wanted to do the cloetoes first, but I have a nice wee weeka, newborn with umbilical cut out that looks so cute! But I also like Fuzzi Bunz styles and would like a few tiny ones for those first few days...
:

It's all good, right!
I'm just glad my sewing area is in the basement now, rather than my dining room table..because it's a MESSY looking place atm with all those patterns/fabrics/threads laying about...

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Erm
at least 5 diff styles...mmm....let's see

Freebie Patterns:
A Fuzzi Bunz 'knock off', ripped out and traced
A Swaddlebees 'Knock off', ripped out and traced
Wee Weekas in several of their diff styles, including pull ups
Mother Bird
All the Fern and Fairie patterns
Several of the 'Debbie' Diapers, including the Honey Boy?

Paid for Patterns:
Poo Pockets (Side Snap style diaper that also makes a great cross between a Fuzzi Bunz and a Swaddlebees if you make a 'pocket' style from it)
New Conceptions wraps pattern, that could be used to make fitteds with also
Chloe Toes (Diaper and Shoe Pattern)
A Kwik Sew diaper/cover pattern that I'd had for years but never used...

And some self made templates for cutting squares for making flats and prefolds, which I'm working on now.

I did just make a side snapping cover with the NC wrap pattern. It is supposedly newborn size, but looks a bit big. I guess if you had a thick diaper like a Kissaluvs, then it'd be alright!
I used 5/8" FOE and I think I'd like using elastic and doing a binding over that to make sure it is cinched in all the way for a smaller size...still trying to decide!

You can imagine the mess. I have patterns on the floor spread out for comparison! And the kids have their own idea of how I should spend the day...so I barely managed to get the one cover done with the MANY breaks I had to take!!
heeh...Kids, gotta love them!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Sabrinat,

What did you decide to get?
I ordered some colored snaps and the nice 1" FOE for the covers. So that's what I finally decided to concentrate on...using the New Conceptions Delux Cover' pattern.

I'm going to use polar fleece (pre run for wool, to check sizing) and do nice contrasting FOE and snaps. I have two Polar Babies 'Happy Pants' that I have always loved and am trying to make something similar. They bind the 'elastic' edges with a really cool microfiber lycra binding that I WISH I could find. Love the way it feels! Then they just serge the 'straight' sides where the snaps are. Seems like it'll be a fast sew up too!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to get the Darling Diapers pattern, although I plan to make a mamabird pattern.

Xenabyte, where did you get the Swaddlebee knockoff pattern. I'd like to see that one.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Sabrinat...erm..

I totally stitch ripped and snap popped and traced out a large Swaddlebees (which actually fits like a medium FB...but even better..on my 2 year old, and it still has 'room to expand'.) It's never leaked, even though it is SO much narrower in the crotch and fits nice and low on the belly. It's my favorite for him wearing under jeans and such.

I made the new 'pattern' on a heavy weight drafting mylar film that my dad gave me a roll of, so it'd last. I could 'draw' another copy. Not sell it, but for S&H, could send you one to play with....PM me.

I don't have an actual small or medium Swaddlebees, but since the large size fits like a medium for most diapers, and yet 'expands' to cover hips up to typical larges, I haven't bothered buying one of each to make home use patterns with yet.

I do have a small size Poo Pockets pattern that is awefully close to a Swaddlebees, after modifying it to make a pocket style with. I made several for a friend for her newborn and she loved them!

I could use the PP to make a 'medium' with, but have yet to do that.

I might just suck it up and buy a real 'small and 'medium' Swaddle to use for an actual pattern. Just takes about a day to rip it out nicely and copy it (adding in kid aggro).

That's what took me so long, I always trace any size I'm using/modifying onto mylar for a 'long lasting, repeat use pattern' and to avoid messing with the original pattern in case I want to use it as is or re-modify it later on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.