Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an OTSBH with my other two babies and either it was a problem or I was, but it just didn't work for me. I tried, we stuck with it, I even went to a babywearing class and got tons of tutoring at LLL meetings ... no luck!
Our three issues were:
1. Too hot. WAY too hot.
2. Too much fabric.
3. Baby not tight enough to my body so I never felt the "handsfree" security I wanted.

So, now I think I want a pouch style sling. I'm trying to decide between the Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Cotton Pouch or the Hotsling stretch.

My concern about the KK sling is that the twill looks very rigid. I like the idea of a stretchy lighter weight fabric.

My concern about the hotsling is that it is not adjustable and while the reviews are that her customer service is topnotch she is also going on maternity leave, so if it doesn't fit I'm afraid I'll be stuck.

What do you think?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I am pretty sure the KKACP fabric is pretty light. Doesn't Tanya use poplin (lighter than twill)?

Did you like the adjustability of the OTSBH? I have a sling from Jeni from http://www.wisewomansling.com and it's a really great ring sling with a closed tail like the OTSBH without all the padding. It also has a nice deep pouch for nursing discretion. I have been wearing it pregnant with my 2 year-old and I can pull that thing really tight and the rings don't slip at all.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:
1. Too hot. WAY too hot.
2. Too much fabric.
3. Baby not tight enough to my body so I never felt the "handsfree" security I wanted.
The padding, how the shoulder is sewn and tail formation is the problem for all 3 of those. With an unpadded ring sling it doesn't get hot like a padded and because there is no padding you can get it tighter. Because it's not padded it doesn't seem like there is as much fabric too.

Tail formation can make a big difference in the amount of fabric you are dealing with. I have an Kangaroo Korner Solarveil unpadded ring sling it is a loose open tail so there is alot of excess fabric that I do not need(plus it is a size too big and it hangs to my mid calf). With the Wise Woman sling it is a closed tail and there is hardly any fabric to hang down. Because the WWS is unpadded I have no problems getting tight and have never come across a problem with not being able to get a tight upper rail. The way it is sewn you could still tighten the upper rail separatly from the lower rail even though it is closed. My padded sling is sewn very close to how the WWS is sewn at the tail but because it is padded I could not pull the top rail through nearly as much as I could with the WWS.

Sewn Shoulder. Again with the KK the shoulder is mostly loose except where the material has been brought through the rings and then sewn to the rest of the material. The WWS shoulder is sewn in a closed manner making it have alot less material to deal with at the shoulder. My padded sling is sewn exactly like the KK one is.

The padded & KK ones have more material across your body than the WWS making it hotter plus the padded one has the padding making it even hotter than the KK. Since the KK is a solarveil it is actually quite cool but the design is hot if it was in a different material.

Comparasin of the 3.

Across the tail the KK is 27.5", the padded is 2.75" with 2.5" from the end of the sewn tail until you hit the padding, the WWS is 2.75" with no padding to get in the way.

At the shoulder the KK is 27", the padded is 22" plus 3" of padding on either side making it 28", the WWS is 7".

I'm just trying to show you how the style of different ring slings makes a difference in how it feels & how you can use it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
i'll plug the hotsling! i got one made for dh and while it's a bit big for me i still love it. get the leg padding too. it doesn't increase the the bulk of much and it's so comfortable for the toddler. easy to slap on and use too.

however, i don't feel as hands free as you think it would. dyson is now 6 mos and sits well on my hip. cradle hold was good for a few months and i was somewhat hands free. for me, wrap slings or a maya wrap totally are hands free. the way the maya wrap sling is constructed is so nice. i live in so cal. and find it not too much hotter than using a hotsling b/c frankly you're gonna get hot wearing a baby. i know you said you wanted a pouch, but i don't find it as hands free. yes i can do things and such but i can't use a pouch w/ dd to play at the park or pick her up. w/ the wrap slings (ubw or baby bundler or moby) or the maya wrap I can b/c dyson is tight to my body. hope that helps some.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer H
I'm confused. Neither the KK pouch nor the hotsling pouch that I am looking at have a tail at all. That is why I am interested in a pouch this time.

Am I missing something?
LOL! I think Carrie and I were trying to find a sling for you that was like the OTSBH but without all the padding (since that seemed to be your main complaint).
I am just not sure you're going to get that 'tight up against you' fit with a pouch that you can with an adjustable sling. And my guess as to why your OTSBH wasn't tight enough was because it was too big for you and you couldn't pull the padding through the rings to get a good fit. Sorry to confuse you! LOL! I have preggo-brain meandering thoughts followed by poorly typed incongruous sentences.
:

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
sorry about that I was just trying to explain why the sling was probably not working for you.lol

With my pouch I can carry my 2 year old handsfree with no problems. I never had it when she was younger so I can't compare to using it with a smaller baby.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I agree that the OTSBH was probably too big for you. If you don't like padding but want a tight up against you feel, an unpadded ring sling may work best for you.

I have a KKACP, and it is not made of twill -- the fabric is very lightweight. I was concerned about adjustability too, which is why I opted for it instead of the hotsling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.