Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were previously enjoying a delicious fortified rice milk until I read an article posted at MDC about things more toxic to children than lead paint, and within that article, cyanocobalamin was mentioned as being a toxic form of vitamin B12. It turns out our rice milk had that ingredient, and we stopped drinking it until I can find satisfactory evidence to suggest that it is okay, and if not, we will continue to not drink it, obviously.

Upon searching, this is something I found of note and concern...
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1210089.html

[0014] Surprisingly, we have noted that cyanocobalamin may be less than optimum and may even be toxic in individuals with vitamin B12 deficiency. One reason is that there appear to be adverse interactions between vitamin B12 deficiency and the presence of cyanide. Cyanide is relatively common at low levels in the environment, being present in smoke, particularly tobacco smoke, and in certain foods. It may also be generated in small amounts in the course of normal metabolism since the body contains effective mechanism for cyanide detoxification. There is evidence that the consequences of vitamin B12 deficiency for the nervous system are much more serious in the presence of situations where cyanide may be generated or not detoxified (A G Freeman, Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 1988; 81:103-106: A G Freeman, Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 1992; 85:686-7). Whereas cyanocobalamin will not alleviate any cyanide excess and may even make the situation worse because of its cyanide content, hydroxocobalamin not only corrects a vitamin B12 deficiency but actually acts as an antidote to cyanide poisoning by binding cyanide (J C Forsyth et al, Clinical Toxicology 1993; 31:277-294). On the basis of these observations, therefore, Freeman has argued that cyanocobalamin should actually be withdrawn and replaced by hydroxocobalamin. However, Freeman has also argued that only hydroxocobalamin given by injection should be used, stating "I strong oppose any treatment for pernicious anaemia other than parenteral hydroxocobalamin" (A G Freeman 1999; Lancet 353:410-411).

Can anyone help me to understand more about vitamin B12? There are so many resources claiming it's safety and I've not heard of anything to do with it before, so this is really new territory for me. Any links, or other resources would be very helpful.

I really miss my rice milk...

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I can't really find anything that says it's toxic online, and all my regular vegan sources don't mention the possibility. Since your body does not absorp all b12 unless in very small doses I don't think it would be harmful. However, as written above, I have not been aware of any problem either. Here's some articles I used to read. I have drunk fortified soy milk for 5 years now, but obviously that's no "proof"

from veg family

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/b12.htm

vegan outreach only warns against it in combination with smoking

you can also read an extensive research paper om b12 in general here
make sure to click through the following pages. the paper does mention worse absoprtion in smokers, and general less absorption of cyanocob. but no warning either. I don't know, I don't find any convincing info on its dangers.

hope that helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.