Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for help in empowering my dd. I've found a lot of information and books on empowering teen girls but I believe I need to focus on it now (she's 6) to build a strong base. I already see major tendencies towards being a people pleaser. I know huge parts are what I teach her with my behavior, which I am trying to change, but I would like strategies in encouraging and supporting her in the meantime.<br><br>
I've always believed strongly in teaching my children empathy, which seems to have worked very well for my two sons but I believe she has internalized it more. Please share any tips, advice or book recommendations.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I found with my dd that having her involved in activities that she was good at was empowering for her. She played soccer and was involved in theater. She eventually became an all star goalie and developed a lot of confidence from that. But theater was her real love!! She is 30 now and moved to New York from California when she was 19 to pursue her dreams and is still there! I never could have done that at that age!<br>
Findings something she enjoys doing regardless of what other people think is helpful. Where she can gain confidence in HER abilities and strengths. Encourage her to try a sport. I have noticed that girls at the Karate studio that my ds (10) attended for several years were strong, self assured and confident. Or perhaps and art class, or dance.<br>
Have you read Reviving Ophelia? That might be helpful also.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I dunno....teach her to do things and then let her do them? That seems very vague, I know, but it's my basic strategy with dd1, who turned 5 in December. Sports are good if she's interested (my dd is athletic, but we haven't gotten into organized sports yet).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts