Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pregnant with our third, but this past summer we moved internationally and sold all of our baby gear. So, we are starting from scratch in terms of stroller, car seat, swing, bouncy seatetc. etc. I have a huge tub of clothes -- they are gender-neutral to boy, but even if we have a girl, I think they'll be fine. I have a wrap and an Ergo, so we don't need those. I also have 13 BG diapers, but sold off all my small FBs, so I'll need a bigger diaper stash. We want to pay cash for all these purchases and I'm fine buying used, with the exception of the car seat. Can you help me estimate how much to save up?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think it'll largely depend on what you think that you'll need for the baby. I ended up having both the swing and the bouncy seat, but DD never cared for her swing and it definitely was not worth the money, it's sitting almost new in my basement. You can have minimal cloth diapering costs with prefolds and covers, but if you have specific diapering preferences then you'll need to take those into consideration. I didn't have a lot of use for a stroller until later when Lem became heavy, so it was not a start up cost for me. Also will you be using both an infant carseat and a convertible carseat, or will you use a convertible seat from birth.

Sorry, rereading this post I realize I wasn't much help, but I think that if you make some decisions like that people will be better able to help you. My baby requirements are probably a lot different from yours. I ended up pumping, so needed bottles, a good pump, lots of batteries for said pump, a car adapter, bottle racks, bottle brushes, etc. We also had a lot of non-necessities like I said, mostly from baby showers (exersaucer, baby swing, baby seat, etc. etc. etc.)

Take care,
El

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
We didn't invest in any "stuff" like swing, stroller (not until he was too heavy to carry while exercising that is which for me was 16-17lbs). My biggest investment was the carseat (I think good quality buckets are in the $150 range?) and the diapers (got all our newborn dipes used for $130, plus two wool covers at $20 each), the moby wrap ($45) and some clothes (ya, def overspent there but hey he was my first! hehe). We cosleep so no need for crib, bedding, etc and I wanted/was able to breastfeed exclusively so no expense there.

I think every mom will have a different answer to this one!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellemnop View Post
I think it'll largely depend on what you think that you'll need for the baby. I ended up having both the swing and the bouncy seat, but DD never cared for her swing and it definitely was not worth the money, it's sitting almost new in my basement. You can have minimal cloth diapering costs with prefolds and covers, but if you have specific diapering preferences then you'll need to take those into consideration. I didn't have a lot of use for a stroller until later when Lem became heavy, so it was not a start up cost for me. Also will you be using both an infant carseat and a convertible carseat, or will you use a convertible seat from birth.

Sorry, rereading this post I realize I wasn't much help, but I think that if you make some decisions like that people will be better able to help you.
Thanks, El. That's a good point about specifics. Let me see:

swing - I definitely want one, as we used it a lot with both boys. I figure buying used will cut down on some of the "but what if the baby hates it and never uses it" worries, kwim? And I'll just resell it when baby is too big. Likewise for the bouncy seat. I like have a portable place to put baby, especially when we're eating dinner, etc. Of course, I may have another baby like #1, who will settle for nothing but being in arms.

diapers -- I have some prefold anxiety. Or more accurately, cover anxiety. I tried three diff covers with #2 and none of them fit right. I do like the idea of doing PFs b/c it is so much less expensive. Maybe I can find some covers second hand?

car seat -- I'm back and forth on the infant seat. I like having it with the snap-n-go if baby falls asleep in the car. But ultimately, that's like six months and then I need a bigger seat anyway. So, I wonder if it's "worth" it, especially since I won't buy second-hand with the seat. We do have a convertible that has another year left in it before it expires. I guess I could just try with that. Thoughts?

stroller -- if I get the infant seat, I'd want a snap and go. Then I have a Maclaren which can be used from 4 months, I think. Or, more than likely, the baby will be slung anyway.

crib -- we cosleep, but I've always had a crib, which I did make use of for the occasional nap, etc. Then DS2 ended up preferring the crib for a good long stretch from 3-9 months or so, so it was actually useful. If I get a second hand crib, I'd still like to buy a new mattress (organic if possible). Thoughts? Anyway just not have a crib at all? How'd it work out?

What about other stuff like activity mat (not necessity, but nice), baby bath, etc. etc. I can't even remember all the stuff I sold, but I'm sure there was a lot of it. Then again, I realized how much of that stuff was unnecessary!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erinz View Post
We cosleep so no need for crib, bedding, etc and I wanted/was able to breastfeed exclusively so no expense there.

I think every mom will have a different answer to this one!
Oops, we posted at the same time. Thanks Erin. So, did you ever have a time where you wanted a crib? Thought it would have come in handy? I'm nervous for some reason about not having one at all, even though both boys ended up sleeping with us for the better part of the first 2-3 years of their lives. (Well, DS1 slept with us 'til age 4 actually.)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Realistically if you really don't feel comfortable with prefolds and you prefer something like BG or FB, then I say go for it. Your diapering costs with cloth diapers are still so much better than the cost of sposies that it doesn't hurt to get the kinds that you know that you'll use and enjoy (if you can enjoy a diaper).

Depending on when you're due you can probably get most of those things at yardsales. I'd say you could easily find a nice swing at a yardsale between 20-40 (on the high end), my baby bathtub I got for $2 at a yardsale (and found another one for free) - we didn't use the baby bathtub in the beginning, she bathed with Mama, but did use it from about 3 months to 9 months.

As for a crib, we had both a crib and a bassinet, but didn't cosleep. I'd definitely buy the crib used (but make sure it's sturdy, buy in person), and would definitely buy a new mattress. Our mattress was $80 but was not organic.

As far as seats go it sounds like you have a pretty good idea there.

Playmats I would totally go used. We bought ours for $45 and it had a great resale value when she grew out of it, so we didn't hang onto it (w'ell buy another if we want one).

My bouncy chair was $40 (well I bought it for a friend almost 2 years in advance of us using it). I'd get this second hand as well.

My must have list:
diapers
bottles (which wouldn't probably be on yours)
breastpump
2-3 good carriers
bouncy chair
a few good blankets
clothing
wipes (reusable or non)
carseats

I don't think I'm forgetting, but might be.

Take care,
El

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
Oops, we posted at the same time. Thanks Erin. So, did you ever have a time where you wanted a crib? Thought it would have come in handy? I'm nervous for some reason about not having one at all, even though both boys ended up sleeping with us for the better part of the first 2-3 years of their lives. (Well, DS1 slept with us 'til age 4 actually.)
Never ever desired one in the least. Once our son could roll we put our bed right on the floor so that even if he did roll if he wouldn't have far to go. He never rolled or fell off though
If he happened to be in bed alone I made the pillows into bumpers around him. I'm one of those oddball people who find cribs really super big time odd though

We were lent a baby bath and used it once. I found I really enjoyed taking a bath with our son and he really preferred it too.

Didn't get an activity mat, but did buy a nice big sheepskin rug he could roll around on. ($120) We still use it as a rug and it will get a nice fresh wash for the next kiddo!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
Not Erin, but we had a crib and never used it. Maybe once for a nap, that's it. It's now in the attic at my parent's house and I do not intend to bring it back here for this baby. We do have a co-sleeper though that I could use if this baby actually sleeps alone. My son never, ever did. His first night alone in a bed was this past summer
at age 3!

We have an old baby seat, not bouncy, that I did use a lot. I doubt we'll replace it for a bouncing/vibrating model. The infant seat is not expired yet, and I have a frame to snap it into for an early stroller. I do need to research and invest in a sling of some sort. I didn't know about baby wearing last time so I don't have anything

I find it difficult to put a $$ amount on any of this stuff. We kind of accumulated things slowly and it didn't really affect our budget too much. Alot of what we have is also used and was given to us as well, so that helped.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I actually went to target.com and priced out the stuff that I wanted, and have since been looking at garage sales. No idea where you are, but do they have craigslist and garage sales out there?

I estimated that, top end, I'd be spending $600 on baby gear exclusive of clothing. That includes a changing table (not necessary but I insist on it) a crib and a co-sleeper, a glider, a car seat, and various and sundry. I'm very good at shopping sales, and have a lot of in-laws (baby shower) so I expect to spend far less than the $600 I estimated. But, there's a number for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.