Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the school can evaluate him, why not you guys?

They think he may have some OCD issues, or Asperger's. I really don't see the first, but maybe the second. Dh isn't convinced about the second. Dh and I both think he has some ADHD, though mild, as he can be a space cadet.

Okay, here he is -

-completely enamored of all creatures aquatic. He can tell you the different types of dolphins, about how a killer whale is actually a dolphin, threw a hissy fit at the Shedd Aquarium b/c the dolphin doll that was supposed to be like the one from the show didn't have the exact markings as the ones in the show (thank goodness for a patient and creative girl at the counter who explained why to ds.) He loves reading fact books about sea creatures and will write them down in a journal. Okay, so that all screams Asperger's, lol!

-he is pretty social and friendly and will talk to strangers, but sometimes he's awkward about it. Like just blurt out whatever is on his mind. He is way more social than his brother though.

- sometimes gets this weird tone of voice that's hard to describe. It's not a too loud pitch, but it is kind of a monotone - and it's only used when asking for something like "CanIhaveaglassofmilk?" "Thankyou".

- he was a late talker (about 26 months) but went from four words and a bark to full sentences.

- very bright kid

- overthinks things.

- will get "stuck" on something and shut down. Like one day between soccer games, we ran and got Lunchables (yeah, sue me, lol). He didn't have time to eat his so balked and pouted and didn't want to play so walked around the field. It took me three tries to even get him to listen to me, and I was able to break through by getting him to laugh over the vision of him vomiting all over the ball and them stopping the game (boys...) Once he was snapped out the mood, he was fine and happy and played well.

- is either really laid back and goes with the flow, or gets very easily frustrated, which causes a meltdown, then getting "stuck"...

- can't make a choice to save his life sometimes.

- completely disorganized. Every morning we search for his shoes, even though he's supposed to put them in the closet when he takes them off. He is always losing shin guards, hats, gloves, etc. Even though all these things have spots for them to go to that we constantly remind him of.

- always ends up making friends with either the other ADHD kid or in a case last year, this bully who kept taking stuff from him (the teacher finally completely seperated them after an incident which caused Sean to shut down.)

there might be more but I can't think of any...he was supposed to be the more normal of the two boys
Though he is goofy and loves to be weird and center of attetion, though not in your face attention...just quirky ways, like dancing through the doorway 17 different ways, or slowly sticking his tongue out at you until you notice. We've joked that he WILL be a theatre major in college.

·
Registered
832 Posts
He sounds a little like my oldest. I just love quirky boys.

Have you ever looked into nonverbal learning disorder? There is a lot of overlap between NLD and Aspergers. My boy has several signs of both but not enough to really be diagnosed with either.
Here are some of the possible signs:

Does your child frequently exhibit several of the following?

Naïve, inappropriate behavior for their age
Difficulty reading facial expressions
Takes everything literally
Has a need to know exactly what is going to happen next
A need to stick to schedules
Inflexibility - can't adapt easily to new situations
High anxiety
A lack of problem solving skills
Difficulty making friends
Inability to empathize with how others are feeling
Rigid adherence to the rules, no flexibility in interpreting rules
Obsessive compulsive behavior
Intense interest in one topic
Hypersensitivity to sound, visual stimulation, touch, taste or smell
Poor hygiene (they cannot see how others view them)
Sleep difficulties
Monotone speech, choppy and uninteresting to the listener
Does not understand sarcasm
Poor motor skills, both gross and fine
Difficulty learning to tell time.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
On your list, from "bright kid" down, you basically described me (including the sticking his tongue out until you notice
lol) and my diagnosis is ADHD. I do tend to also get very interested in a subject and want to learn all about it but I wouldn't say it is obsessive (but I'm not a kid so who knows?)

Martha

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does your child frequently exhibit several of the following?

Naïve, inappropriate behavior for their age - mostly no
Difficulty reading facial expressions - maybe sometimes, he can be oblivious
Takes everything literally - not everything, but is very literal
Has a need to know exactly what is going to happen next - not more than normal
A need to stick to schedules - nope
Inflexibility - can't adapt easily to new situations - usually no
High anxiety - I don't think so, but the ST said he does, so maybe at school?
A lack of problem solving skills - yes
Difficulty making friends - not sure
Inability to empathize with how others are feeling - again, can be oblivious
Rigid adherence to the rules, no flexibility in interpreting rules - sometimes
Obsessive compulsive behavior - I don't think so, but the ST said he might
Intense interest in one topic - YEPPERS!
Hypersensitivity to sound, visual stimulation, touch, taste or smell - only when his brother chews loudly
Poor hygiene (they cannot see how others view them) - well, he is a boy, lol, but no, actually, loves to shower and brush his teeth
Sleep difficulties - not anymore
Monotone speech, choppy and uninteresting to the listener - some monotone and choppiness
Does not understand sarcasm - he's my child, he understands it well

Poor motor skills, both gross and fine - quite the opposite
Difficulty learning to tell time. - don't remember

·
Registered
405 Posts
From what I've read, it sounds like Aspergers to me, but I'm still learning. I don't have a diagnosis on my child either. It can always be a combo of diagnosises too from what I've been learning. I hope that you can find out and get help for him.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamocak View Post
From what I've read, it sounds like Aspergers to me, but I'm still learning. I don't have a diagnosis on my child either. It can always be a combo of diagnosises too from what I've been learning. I hope that you can find out and get help for him.

That's what I'm wondering, if it's a combination of things. Though I'm also wondering if there's something auditory going on, and that's why he gets frustrated or seems ADHD. There is dyslexia in the family, though he hasn't shown signs of it. Of course, I'm pretty certain that my oldest brother would have been diagnosed with Asperger's if it was around when he was a kid. He has actually been diagnosed with adult ADHD. And dh is pretty ADHD himself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.