Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out what the best diet would be for my family. I also need practical advice on how to implement it!!

I am 33 years old. When my father was 20 years older than I am now(53) he had a 5 way heart bypass. He died of a stroke at the age of 64. So, that is a big concern to me. I just had a cholesterol test and it was normal and my bp is always really low, but I still want to be concerned, for myself and my boys. My mom is 74 and healthy as a horse, but she does have osteporosis(sp) her whole family suffers from it. SHe has stopped it with calcium tabs. She had nine children, but didnt nurse any of them. I am on my 8th year of being pregnant or nursing. i have not really taken clacium tabs, except when I was pg. I had severe hyperemesis with my babes too, and that took a huge nutritional toll on me, esp the last two pg.

My dh has alot of cancer on his side of the family. Not a ton of heart problems. DH appears to be hypoglycemic. He has huge sugar crashes.

We are meat and dairy eaters. My 7 yo ds is a vegetarian for ethical reasons. My kids dont like stir fry(that is about the only thing they dont usually eat)

I was having reflux a few months back and cut wheat out of my diet. It seemed to have helped the reflux. It also took a huge cchunk out of my migraines. I went from having to take advil two-five times a week to taking it once or twice a month. My sister also has a wheat allergy.

My oldest has aspergers and my other two have sensory issues. I am consiering taking them off of wheat and maybe going gluten free.

I would love to take us off of meat, but it really helps keep dhs hypoglycemia in check. Also, I have noticed that if I dont have meat or dairy and eggs, I will get a migraine that day.

I would love to buy more organic too. We are on a very tight budget. Family of 5, maybe we can spend $100 a week on groceries. I would like to do a csa next year, but cant afford it this year. I cant figure out how to container garden. I only have a small patio to put things in, and I dont have any containers. We do have an apple tree and a plum tree in the front yard. And there are a lot of free berry spots around here. But, that wont be blooming for another month. So, what to do in the meantime?

Also, we have all been suffering alot of colds and allergy type stuff. And I am absolutley plagues wit yeast.

I want to eat really healthy and turn our little family around. But, I want to do it for cheap.

SO, what should we eat?

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Quote:
I would love to buy more organic too. We are on a very tight budget. Family of 5, maybe we can spend $100 a week on groceries. I would like to do a csa next year, but cant afford it this year. I cant figure out how to container garden. I only have a small patio to put things in, and I dont have any containers. We do have an apple tree and a plum tree in the front yard. And there are a lot of free berry spots around here. But, that wont be blooming for another month. So, what to do in the meantime?

this doesn't help much for this year -- but here there's a community garden. you pay some $$ and they till it for you and then you can plant whatever you want.

i don't do wheat free, but i imagine that if you jack up your veggies consumption that might help. Salads are a hit here.

You have lots of questions in your post, if no one else answers, maybe try to split them into several. It is hard to address so many in one!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Start mixing in/replacing to have healthier versions of what you currently eat. Keeping the foods seperate for those with allergies..

whole wheat
brown rice
roast a chicken with herbs in it
beans
buy organic when it makes sense$$ & see thread of "top ten" items
to buy organic
mix in lots of dark green veggies for added calcium (do a web search
on which ones are loaded with calcium)

Pick one item at a time and change it, part of changing is breaking a routine (purchasing different items). It's overwhelming to change it all at once. I started 3 years ago and found that I gave up a few times because, when tired or rushed, I reverted back to my old shopping/eating ways.

It is hard to offer advice since you have posted many concerns. I'd also mix in an outdoor activity every day (like walking or getting the kids out to a playground) to keep you and the rest healthy and in a good daily routine.

Good luck, and don't get discouraged, keep it as simple as you can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.