Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm worried that my 3 yr. old ds is having a food allergy, but I don't know where to start thinking about it. Everything I read seems sort of overwhelming. Here are his symptoms:
-itchy bottom/ring around the anus
-very slow weight gain (he has gained maybe ~2-5 lbs. in the past year)
-complaints of tummy ache after eating
-he was using the potty independently for ~6 months, and then seems to
have lost his ability to do this (I don't know if this is related, but pooing
seems to be a problem for him, maybe because of his sore bottom)

We are vegan, so we eat no dairy, meat, or egg. However, he ate a considerable amount of soy for awhile. I tried to eliminate most of it, but there are little bits of soy in so much food, so I'm sure he gets a little. When he was eating less soy, his "ring" seemed to lessen a little bit, but was still there.

When you do the elimination diet, how strict do you have to be? If he eats a piece of chocolate with soy lecithin in it, is that going to cause a reaction? Do you have to worry about the labels on food that say whether something was processed in a factory which also processes soy?

I started giving him soy again today just to see if his symptoms get any worse, but I feel like there are so many variables that I don't really know if that would narrow it down to soy as the culprit.

Any ideas? Am I going about this in the wrong way?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Gluten, i would eliminate all gluten and see what happens, especially w/trouble going potty and slow weight gain. Let me know if you have any ?'s, my ds is gluten free, it IS hard, but worth it if it turns out to be the offending allergen (well celiac disease is different than an allergy i guess). Google celiac disease and it will tell you the foods not to eat, or feel free to pm me

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying. I'm having a hard time figuring out the pm thing...Sorry.

Anyway, so I see that people with celiac disease can't eat any wheat products (or various related grains). But can I eat them if I'm bfing my ds?

I think we will try eliminating gluten and see what happens. Do you know how long I should wait before expecting him to feel better, so I can tell if this really is the problem?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Has this been going on most of his life on and off or is it just a recent occurance?

Does he dig out in the dirt outside or do you have pets? As icky as it sounds it could be a parasite. Drs. Have tests to check for that kind of stuff.

Wishing you luck to figure this all out!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts