Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>This summer will be my second at this house.  Last year, I had 50 or so tomato plants.  They got potato beetles.  I had to hand pick them from the plants daily.  In 90 degree heat and humidity.  8 months pregnant.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I managed to get rid of them.  The tomatoes didn't do so good, but I think it was mostly because of the weather.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm thinking about my garden for this coming year.  Should I try to find somewhere else to plant the tomatoes?  Do you think the fact that I got rid of the beetles by June-ish means they aren't in the ground waiting for my plants this year?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If I move to another spot in the yard, I am concerned the beetles will be there, too.  I only have about an acre, and we're surrounded by corn and bean fields.</p>

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
<p>Whereever you put it you can treat with organic repllents, generous application of neem soap or something like that will deter insects. At first I thought you had potatoes and I was going to suggest a beetle resistant variety like King Harry but now I see you want tomatoes. What gets to them anyway might not hit as hard as you fear. And at least you're not pregnant this summer, right?</p>

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Thank you for your reply.  I hadn't thought of something to repel them, I haven't used anything like that in my garden for years.  I researched the different options available and think I can come up with a good treatment should they come back this year.</p>
<p>I'm also getting chicks, and hope to let them roam, supervised, in the garden to eat the little evil things.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My garden sure suffered last year from my being pregnant.  Glad I get to enjoy thinner gardening this year!</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts