Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

So here's the situation, I have a 3 month old preemie (he came 5 weeks early so think 2 month old) that can't really hold his own head up too well yet, but wants to be held every minute of the day. I have back problems that make me go to the chiropracter on a 1x a week basis, so I need something that uses both shoulders. I'm 4'9" so I can't do bulky and the one size fits all thing doesn't apply to my tiny torso.

I tried the New Native but that was a disaster for my back.

Tried the baby bjorn, which my DH loves, but its just too big and bulky for me.

I tried The Ultimate Baby Wrap and had the most success with this, I think wraps might be the way to go, but this is VERY stretchy and DS keeps sliding down unless I tighten it until its uncomfortable for me, plus he bucks against it, oy.

So what do you think folks? I'm new to the wrap thing, so I'm all ears...

·
Registered
116 Posts
hmmmm....I've been using a stretchy wrap for my little guy (3 months...maybe 13 pounds or so??) and haven't had any major problems with him sliding down. I'm using a Moby. But I also have a homemade cotton wrap that I've just started using...it definitely keeps him nice and snug. I've just recently let him face out now that his neck is stronger, and he likes that better than facing in.
Anyway, so maybe a not-so-stretchy wrap would help? Sorry I can't recommend a specific one, since the Moby is the only wrap I've purchased.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I was looking into stretchy wraps a while back, and the reviews of the Ultimate Baby Wrap over at thebabywearer.com were really bad. People were complaining that it's way too stretchy, which sounds like what you're struggling with too. For stretchy wraps, many people love the Moby Wrap and the Hug-a-Bub.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yeah I've heard the UBW is really stretchy...I have a Cuddly Wrap, basically a Moby just Canadian-made, and LOVE it...my lil guy is 17lbs and still no sagging down, snug as a bug!

I would look at a Moby, or a Moby D (just has a non-stretch insert that adds a bit more stability across the baby's back).

I also have a cotton gauze, homemade wrap that's awesome. I just ordered a woven wrap so I'm not sure yet how that will work for us, but I've heard only good things about them, for people who don't particularly like the stretch factor. Also, they come in alot of different lengths (which is great for us shorties, I'm barely over 5'1)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have a UBW and love it. A wrap is definitely the way to go for even shoulder and back weight distribution. However, I don't have any personal experience to compare to a Moby or HugABub. I hear you about the slippage though. My 5 1/2 wo likes doing push ups if I don't position her arms apart. You may want to try turning your babe sideways into a cradle hold so he doesn't wiggle down.

If you have it in the budget, you may want to consider a non-stretchy wrap such as a Storchenwiege, a Didymos or a Gypsy Mama. You should also look into a Kozy Meitei since those have a high rail for infant head support. Is there an AP or NINO group near you? That way you can try some other carriers. BBW is such a personal thing - we all come in different shapes and sizes.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think you should try making your own wrap. Just start with 5 yards of fabric and cut it shorter and shorter as needed (I use 5.5 yards and I am a size 10). I'd get a fabric with just a tiny bit of stretch.

Another option is getting a custom made mei tai. Or getting a regular one and folding down the waist so it has a shorter body.

I would not go with an Ergo. Even at my height (5'5") am too short waisted for it to be comfortable.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Definitely, see if there's a NINO babywearing group near you. If you can get to a meeting more experienced babywearing mamas will be able to help you with tying and positioning the wrap you have, as well as introducing you to other babywearing options. Here's the link to find a group in your area: einnineout.org/localgroups.htm

if your local NINO group has a Yahoo discussion group, join that -- it's a great way to get your questions answered, and sometimes even to get hands-on assistance, between meetings.

Hang in there! The whole babywearing thing is WAAAAAY worth it!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't have much experience with wraps, but I just got a Mei Tai Baby MT and it's small bodied and can adjust to have the little babe's legs out if they like.

But, definitely, go to a local NINO meeting if there's one near you.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by New Mexico Beach
I would not go with an Ergo. Even at my height (5'5") am too short waisted for it to be comfortable.
Ditto that... I'm short 5'2", short-waisted and wide hipped- not a comfy fit with the structured carriers (I tried Ergo and Patapum).

Good luck finding the right carrier Cindy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts