Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm a dunce. I added in all the veggies completely raw, when in fact I meant to roast them first for more flavor. The result is very flat, boring turkey-veg soup - and a lot of it!!! Like a gallon. I can't and won't waste it, but I don't want to eat boring soup for the next week. I added a can of pinto beans and about 2T of pesto at the end, hoping that will help a little bit. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Hm a couple ideas. Reduce the stock down, the flavor will intensify. And/or fry up a few slices of bacon and add to the soup -they'll go great with the beans and add a lot of flavor. If you hadn't thrown the beans in already I'd say pour the soup through a colander to get the veggies out & pop them in a really hot oven to roast. But I don't think the beans would fare well or taste good roasted.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I'd add salt. And more onions/garlic/ginger- whatever strong spices you have.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Oh, and I usually strain out the "overcooked bland" vegetables that I made the stock with, and add fresh (raw) veggies to the soup before serving it.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Take all the solid stuff out, sprinkle it with salt and throw it in the oven under the broiler (on the middle shelf) for a couple of minutes, stirring every now and then. You want some carmelization on as much stuff as you can get.<br><br>
In the meantime, boil the bejeezus out of the stock that's left, reduce it as much as you can get away with. When you've got some colour on the solid bits, return them to the pot, stir, taste, and add some more salt if you need it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lots of great ideas...thanks! I think I'll have to leave it alone for tonight (leaving the house for the evening) but maybe tomorrow I can strain it, broil the veggies and reduce the stock...I'll see how it goes.<br><br>
BTW, these are fresh veggies that I added after the stock was done. Thanks for the reminder tho!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts