Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I
my swiffer. So in order to save my conscience and my beloved swiffer I've made reuseable swiffer pads out of old prefolds and figured out how to open up the bottle so I can put my own more eco friendly cleaning solution in it...but what should I use?

It can't leave a residue, it must be safe for hardwood, It can't foam up and cheap is a major bonus!

Any ideas?

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Don't know if you have pets or not but if you do, instead of prefolds, using fleece (thin fleece) on the outside of the pad works WONDERS. I actually never really liked my swiffer because with dogs and cats around I'd need to use it hourly to actually get all the fur with only one pad, the fleece grabs everything.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Just curious if anyone knows. Is the vinegar/water/oil solution safe for ceramic tile? I'm paranoid about damaging it. It's brand new, and I was told to only use "special ceramic tile cleaner", but don't have a clue what that is.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Would you care to share your swiffer bottle opening secret? I'd love to do the same with mine. I just stick microterry inserts to the velcro on the mop. Works great, but I hate their cleaner and would like to substitute my own.

·
Registered
342 Posts
:

I hadn't thought of using my microfiber towels! Do you just fold in half and sew the edges together?

I looooooooooooove my Swiffer WetJet and have been feeling horribly guilty for using it. Can't wait to "green it up."

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisac77
Would you care to share your swiffer bottle opening secret? I'd love to do the same with mine. I just stick microterry inserts to the velcro on the mop. Works great, but I hate their cleaner and would like to substitute my own.
I don't know how well I can discribe it....but I'll try. If I don't make any sense just let me know!

You know how on a soda bottle the cap is connected to a ring so you can tell if it's been open? If you look at the ring it has raised edges that sit on the other side of a ridge around the bottle's neck...your swifter bottle is just like that, only not perforated.

Look at the cap of your swiffer bottle, see the raised or wider area at the edge of the cap? Take a serrated knife and CAREFULLY cut that part off... don't slice through the bottle. You can now unscrew the cap and the swiffer is at your mercy!

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
I just use a regular old swiffer pole (no liquid mopping thingy) and put my cleaning solution in a spray bottle. Spray on floor, mop it up, spray on floor, mop it up. I use regular old rags (old cut-up towels or diapers) if I'm wet mopping, as the microfiber towels create too much traction if you're wet-swiffing, but the microfiber ones are great for just dusting the floor (picking up cat hair here). I don't sew or alter the rags, I just tuck them into the little slots on the mop, and if they are a little big and drag on the floor they work even better.
I use the vinegar/water/essential oil for my spray bottle solution, but I add 1-2 teaspoons olive oil when I'm doing the wood floors.
I cannot possibly imagine that vinegar/water would not be safe on ceramic tile. I think the manufacturer just wants you to avoid waxy or oily cleaners, since you don't need that with ceramic tile, and some cleaners can make the grout between the tiles change color.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Medusa, that makes perfect sense! I was trying to insert a tube through the opening, but it wasn't working. Awesome!

Kerriemoe, my son wears cloth diapers, and I just appropriated some of his microterry inserts for my use. However, your description of a folded microterry towel sewn together is exactly what I'm talking about. I use a regular unfolded microterry towel on my dry swiffer. Works like a charm!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.