Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I held a cd info. session on Monday and a mama bought an Aristocrat soaker to try overnight- it leaked/soaked through like crazy. I don't know what she used underneath, going to find that out, but for those of you 'Crat experts, does it need to be lanolized before using? Any other overnight 'Crat tips? I want to help this mama out- this was her first wool purchase!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, it needs to be lanolized. Usually, to be night-worthy, it needs to be lanolized a few times. For the crats I've gotten new, I usually use them for naps for a week or so to get them broken in. Once it's gone through 2lanolizations, it's usually nightworthy, 3 or so before it's bulletproof.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work to just soak it 2x in lanolin. It definitely needs to dry (and I think it has to be used... but I'm not absolutely sure about that one since I've never tried drying it, then immediately lanolizing again).

When I lanolize for nighttime use, I usually use more than the average amount of lanolin (like 2-3 times more) and let it soak for a few hours. I've found this is the most helpful for demonstrating how to lanolize: http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/lanolize.htm

Oh, also, b/c it's for night... I wouldn't recommend liquid lanolin, unless it's just to give it a quick refresh between washes. Also, I usually lanolize every time I wash since it has to stand up to more than the average wool cover. But I only wash/lanolize every 2-3 weeks, and that is with 2 soakers in rotation.

HTH!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Like a good cast-iron pot, wool needs to be "seasoned" before it's really good. Definetly lanolize it well, use it for a few days to a week and then lanolize again before using for bedtime. You should be good to go!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Interesting. I have used a crat fresh out of the package with good results. I agree with the pp that lanolizing will help. Make sure she turns it inside out when she lanolizes--I think this helps.

Another thing to keep in mind is that anything will wick/leak if there isn't enough absorbancy underneath. With crats I like to put a trifolded prefold between the diaper and the crat. It makes a huge dipaer bum, but really boosts the absorbancy.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I'm so glad to read this thread! I used a crat very successfully with my dd when she was an older baby (probably 10 months and up), but I bought the smaller size for my twins and they've leaked like crazy! I just didn't get it b/c it worked so incredibly well for dd (which was also a new cover but for whatever reason I never had leak/wicking issues). Guess I'll just keep breaking it in & lanolizing more.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ladies! I passed on the info (I've always used wool covers, not soakers, and mine have all been good to go right away, didn't think the 'Crat needed to be lanolized first) and she's going to lanolize it and see how it goes. Thanks again for your help!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts