Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is the right place for this. I've been really frustrated lately with the under use of my skills. I've been volunteering as a bf counselor for more than 3 years. I do support groups and phone help. I don't get many calls. I'm also a CLC without a paid position. I feel like I have so many skills and so much knowledge with no outlet for it. I've encouraged the other paid CLC's I know to refer to me if necessary. (They all complain about how little time they have to spend with moms) Same with the hospital staff I know. They don't refer to me partially because pf privacy laws. Our WIC program is applying for a peer counselor grant and they know I'm interested. But even that seems like an under use of my skills. I don't know where to go from here. I would love to have a paid position as a CLC but niether the hosp nor the health dept is interested in hiring me without a nursing degree. (I am working slowly towards one). I am involved in advocacy also but I want more hands on working with bfing moms. I've considered drafting a letter to doc's offices asking for a position. Does that seem a little desperate? Unlikely to get me anywhere? I live in a small community with many outlying areas. I know the moms here could use more support and encouragement but I don't know how to reach them. Any ideas? What do some of you do in your communities to reach out to more moms?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts