Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 16 month old is getting sick every time we turn around. He keeps needing antibiotics (really needing, not just being given), but I don't want to have to keep doing that. What can I do for immune support for a baby this age?

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
How is your family's diet?

Is the child vaccinated?

What do you do when he first gets sick, I mean right at the onset?

Does anyone in the house smoke?

Is he being nursed or was he nursed?

Does he drink milk?

Gosh, there is a lot to consider.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're pretty healthy eaters; he is especially. We delayed solids until 9 months. He is still nursing quite often and doesn't drink milk. Nobody smokes. He had a few vaccines and we stopped at 6 months (no obvious reactions, but of course who knows?). We give Vitamin C at the outset of an illness.

He has had chronic diarrhea for 3 months with normal stool cultures. He has had some eczema and one severe rash. I have been treated for severe MRSA mastitis over the last 6 months with oral and IV antibiotics, so he has had exposure there. I also have a 4 year old in preschool, so she's bringing home all kinds of stuff-- but my little one is the one getting clobbered.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
I am so glad that your diet, etc sounds pretty good.

Don't worry about kids in school bringing something home... we get viruses, bacteria everywhere. A healthy body will deal with it. Fever, general malaise, rash, healing. Without interference that's how it usually works.

I have a sick grandchild here in my house right now. He is already 10 yo and has not been sick for several years. But yesterday he came down with something. First he tried to deny it - wanted to go out play, which we let him - then by evening he was really sick, sick. Today he's got a pretty good fever. I don't know how high, we don't care, he mostly sleeping all day.

Every hour on the hour I give him a few sips of our magic liquid and other than that I let him sleep. Of course he is old enough to understand that that's the best for him and he complies completely.

It sounds like to me, your child has to work the abx out of his system. That will take a long time. Once he has that worked out, he probably won't be getting sick so often.

Abx compromises the gut/immune system and makes a person weak and vulnerable for a long time. In Europe they have shown that abx never completely leaves the body again.

The best thing for him is to go through some infections naturally. That will strengthen him. The fever should go up so that he can build immunity.

Funny, but the phase "use it or lose it" applies best to the immune system. When we interfere in the work it is doing, we mess things up completely.

Learn about the benefits of fevers. And the benefits of infections. You will see, that they are best left alone. By that is not meant that you can't help the child strengthen his constitution to fight the virus off. What is meant is not to interfere in natural defence system.

Here are the things we do when we get sick.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
I would say his gut needs healing from all the antibotics and he probably has a low serum Vit C levels. If you start with low Vit C, then you are much more susceptible to toxins and will need much more Vit C to fight toxins, infections, inflammation, virus etc.

Have you tried dosing him with SA to bowel tolerance and then keeping it at a maintenance level?

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been reading about SA and am interested in doing that; I haven't yet. In part, I can't figure out how to identify bowel tolerance in a child with chronic diarrhea. I kept waiting to get rid of the diarrhea to do that, but it isn't going away. Any suggestions on that front?

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelGS View Post
I have been reading about SA and am interested in doing that; I haven't yet. In part, I can't figure out how to identify bowel tolerance in a child with chronic diarrhea. I kept waiting to get rid of the diarrhea to do that, but it isn't going away. Any suggestions on that front?
Are you subbed to "Healing the Gut" tribe? I am no expert, but the mama's who post there know a LOT!

But you are right, I think you need to heal his gut first.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I give my DD (18 months) Natren Lifestart Probiotics everyday. You should get yourself some too. All those abx kill the good bacteria in your intestines and probiotics will help you build them back up. This should really help him (and you too).

I like the Natren brand because they are always refridgerated (in the delivery truck and store) and they guarantee live bacteria through the exp date. My DD's supply "expired" in Dec but the bacteria are still alive (they turn pink when dead) so that's a good thing.

I also give her SA every day and bulk up when she is starting to get sick. Hyland's makes a tablet that dissolves in the mouth. There are also liquid forms of SA.

Good luck on taking care of the chronic diarrhea - that is not fun or healthy!

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
You may just want to read this one page - Cheat sheet

BTW - I do NOT use SA every day. It is different from Vitamin C. It is not balanced and unless you know how to balance it, it is incomplete and can create a deficiency in your body.

If you feel that you need a Vita C supplement (we don't) your better choice for every day use is a good complete Vitamin C.

We only use SA to help fight an infection.

CLO on the other hand is a food and completely balanced as are probiotics, brewers yeast and other food vitamins.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
You may just want to read this one page - Cheat sheet

BTW - I do NOT use SA every day. It is different from Vitamin C. It is not balanced and unless you know how to balance it, it is incomplete and can create a deficiency in your body.

If you feel that you need a Vita C supplement (we don't) your better choice for every day use is a good complete Vitamin C.

We only use SA to help fight an infection.

CLO on the other hand is a food and completely balanced as are probiotics, brewers yeast and other food vitamins.

Thanks for the SA tip! We're trying to do Vit C every day to help with anemia issues. I give her a little when eating iron rich foods.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelGS View Post
What is CLO?
cod liver oil

A great link to get you started:

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...dliveroil.html

Then go here (sorry another long thread to plow through):

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=408632

As for a maintenance dose of vit C, I would recommend it for a child that is serum low in vit C because once the body becomes stressed, for example from a virus, stores of vitamin can become depleted very quickly. I would probably give Aerola powder (Now brand) for maintenance C or Liposomal vitamin C.

·
Registered
593 Posts
How funny that I should spot a post like this, I hope people aren't keeping a record. I hope he's better soon. Nothing like having a child who is constantly sick and not one person believing you or saying you must be making the stuff up. Good luck I really do hope he is better soon.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Not directly related to your immune boosting question, but more to the "heal the gut" part: My DS had diarrhea for over 6 weeks when he was 1. He'd had a bad ear infection (pus coming out of his ear) and was on antibiotics for the first week of that period. I didn't know about using probiotics while he was on the meds. But we started them later and modified his diet to no dairy, just soy products, white potatoes, chicken breast, rice. After about a week or so he was doing much better. Might be worth a try for you regarding the diarrhea... Good luck. It is not fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.