Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I hope I can explain these windows. We live in a motor home so our windows are high off the ground ( a long way to fall) but from the inside of th ehouse, they are low to the ground (easy to access for a toddler). They are double hung, the kind you push up to open, and have metal frames. The problem is that the "stops" that are in them to hold the window open at different heigths are so worn out that the windows can just slam shut on your fingers. Before ds, we just propped open the windows with whatever was around (video cassettes, usually). Now, that is not an option. How can I hold the windows open, block the opening from ds, and not let the window slam on his fingers?

I did find one product that was meant to keep the windows open (and figured if it was only a few inches, ds couldn't get out) but they were made for wooden frames and needed to be screwed into the wood. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
How big are these windows? Can you replace the stops?

I found some things that may work....

here
Sash locks, but it looks like these you would have to put in every time, unless you leave your windows open all the time. Use them to hold the window up instead of preventing the window from opening.

Snap on vent lock. (on page s2 at the bottom). Use it to hold the window up.

I would head to the local hardware/home improvement store and see if they can help you.

You can also get a wood or metal "stick" of a good length and put it in the track (one on each side) to prop the window open. If the stick fits into the track (and not hangs over) it would be harder to remove...which is a good thing.

Hoped that helped. You need Adobe to open the link...it is a catalogue

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, we do have those "sash" locks around. I thought about using them to hold open the window, I am just afraid that if they are not screwed on tight enough that the windows would still slam shut. I did go to Home Depot but ours here never has enough people working and they are thoroughly unhelpful. I'll try the other hardware store tomorrow. Thanks for suggestions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.