Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got an Ergo when our daughter was born, because it looked like it would be awesome- but we haven't been able to make it work for us yet!

I can make it work on the front, but she's just not crazy about it- too confining. (Part of the issue is that my large bosom seems to fill most of the place where the baby's supposed to be. . . the other part seems to be that she isn't quite big enough for her head to clear the top.)

To wear it on the back, the instructions say to put the belt on, then the strap on one shoulder. Then I'm supposed to put the baby on the opposite hip and somehow jog her around to the back, pulling her leg through with one arm and flipping the other elbow up over her head, looping the loose strap over that arm, and then pulling it tight. I can't imagine how either I or my husband is going to make this work without dropping her. Do we have to wait until she's old enough to hold on on her own? Does it get easier as the baby gets bigger? Do we always need two adults present so someone can "spot"? How do you make it work?

Any advice would be great. We love the idea of the Ergo, but just can't figure it out.

(also- the straps dig into my armpits. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
How old is your DD? The ERGO seems to be best with a child with good head control/older child.
Have you seen the Mothering babywearing article? Or do you have the ERGO instructional DVD that came with your ERGO?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It took a few tries for me to feel good about putting DD on my back alone, but once you get used to it you can do it in your sleep.

I am also wondering how old your baby is. You don't have to wait for them to hold on or help, but a younger, floppy baby is going to be harder to get in.

I started with the hip-scooting suggestions in the Ergo instructions, but I now put DD on my back with both straps off my shoulders and then reach back ad slip on one strap at a time. This is much easier and faster for me...I always had trouble reaching all the way behind my back and grabbing DD's foot like they show you in the video.

If you don't have your DVD, you can watch the instructions on the Ergo site:

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/instructions.html

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by easy_goer View Post
I started with the hip-scooting suggestions in the Ergo instructions, but I now put DD on my back with both straps off my shoulders and then reach back ad slip on one strap at a time. This is much easier and faster for me...I always had trouble reaching all the way behind my back and grabbing DD's foot like they show you in the video.
I put my dd on my back with both straps off, too. I actually have her standing in front of me, facing away from me and I grab her by her waist and sort of flip her up over my shoulder and onto my back. When I first started this, I would always need to lean back on something to help me stablize her there, but now I can do it and have her all strapped in within a few seconds. When I flip her onto my back, I stand bent over and I hold both of her hands in my left hand right under my chin while I pull up the right strap. Then I reach back with my right hand and sort of hold her body against me as I find the left strap with my left hand. Once I get that strap on I wiggle her down to make sure her bottom is all the way down. Then snap the chest strap and we're good to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our daughters are about the same age and size and it did take me a bit of time to get the hang of the Ergo. I have washed my Ergo twice now and that seems to have helped with rubbing under the arms and breaking it in.

Practice is really what makes you get more comfortable. Getting her onto my back I start with the Ergo on my hip (right one) both straps off. I set her up over the fabric, pull the body of the ergo up and sort of shake her down into it ( lightly of course). Then I grab both shoulder straps with my right hand and slide her around to the back. The key for my is the shake down because then she is fully in the seat of the ergo, comfy and centered.

The other thing for my own comfort has been getting the waist extender strap. This was a miracle for me. Although I could use the ergo without it, I couldn't adjust the waist (no tab left). This may not be you but I'm a bit fluffy still postpartum and this helped so much. Now I can wear it lower on my hips. It has become one of my favorite carrier.

I hope this helps.
Take care,
jenn

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
M and I sit in the back end of the car (a RAV-4 small SUV) with the ergo on my hips spread behind me. he straddles me and then I hook the straps up. BUT, he is 16 months old, not 6. At 6 months, we mainly did front carry or side carry. I liked side a lot then! now, i think he is too big for a side carry, since it was pretty snug in there. (I am a large framed woman--6 feet tall and 200 pounds).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.