Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to make some rugs that can be thrown around on our hardwood floors. I want something that will be easy to clean (i.e. throw it in the machine), relatively non-slip so my girl won't crack her skull running across it, and easy/fast to make. How's that for a wish list? :LOL

Please tell me what you know... any and all rug making ideas welcome, even if they don't fit into all the points on my wish list!

Oh, and I'm particularly interested in any comments on felted wool rugs. Could you do something like that out of old wool sweaters? What would you put on it for backing so that it doesn't slip?

TIA!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Most places that sell latch-hooking supplies also have a rubber rug-backing compound that you spread on the back of the rug t keep it from slipping. I'd probably use that.
You can do latch-hooking with strips of fabric, as well as yarn - I've been seeing kits for fleece-strip rugs around lately.
I've also been thinking of cutting the t-shirts I can't use for diapers into spiral strips (because t-shirts are tubular and you can get a huge amount of yardage by cutting it in a spiral from the bottom) and crocheting rugs out of that. Rag crochet used to be really hot about 10 years ago.....

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm... old t-shirts, huh? And if you can crochet it, you can knit it. (I don't crochet... yet.) Sounds like a fab idea! I wonder how my husband will feel about coming home to his t-shirts cut in strips? :LOL

Thank you Stell!

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
I think felted wool rugs would be beautiful, but really expensive to make unless you have a super-cheap source of roving or your own animals. I'd guess it takes at least 4-8 layers of wool or more to make a decent felt rug..that's a lot! (There's actually a guy on ebay who sells the most gorgeous felted wool rugs, and I've been aching to buy one from him to use as a wall decoration--search under Wool Felt Rug or Turkomen and I think you'll find him, for ideas if nothing else...he has a nice description of the basics of who makes them and how they're made, and the designs are worth looking at!).

I'm pretty much of a novice at felting, though I love it so far--I'm thinking that you might be able to something like buy old wool sweaters and cut them into little pieces of yarn, then layer the cut up yarn between a sandwich of new combed white roving and felt it together. The old sweaters would be cheaper than solid roving, and could make an interesting effect like muted colors between waxed paper kind of look??? You'd need a huge work area to do a big rug, though. Maybe you could make square 1 foot tiles of felt and then stitch them together for a rustic effect (hey, this sounds like something I have to try myself, now that I think of it!--geez I gotta stop coming up with new ideas and just start making stuff--I'm hopeless.
)

Also, have you thought about the faux chenille method for making rugs? I saw this on TV a long time ago and always thought it was neat. You put several layers of fabrics the same size on top of each other, sew straight lines across all the layers about 1/2 inch apart, maybe diagonally across the rug. Then you cut through the fabric between the strips, leaving the bottom layer uncut to hold the rug together. You put it in the washer and dryer (the loose threads could clog up your washer, be careful!) several times and it rags up into a chenille look. I'm sure if you google for it, you'll find better instructions--I did a quick search and found a sample of what someone did with this method to make a coat:
http://www.kathkwilts.com/lessons/chenille.html

I love 'threads' like this one! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gardenmom
I'm pretty much of a novice at felting, though I love it so far--I'm thinking that you might be able to something like buy old wool sweaters and cut them into little pieces of yarn, then layer the cut up yarn between a sandwich of new combed white roving and felt it together. The old sweaters would be cheaper than solid roving, and could make an interesting effect like muted colors between waxed paper kind of look??? You'd need a huge work area to do a big rug, though. Maybe you could make square 1 foot tiles of felt and then stitch them together for a rustic effect (hey, this sounds like something I have to try myself, now that I think of it!--geez I gotta stop coming up with new ideas and just start making stuff--I'm hopeless.
)
Novice at felting here too! As in, felted a couple sweaters by accident, then felted a couple on purpose. :LOL I just bought some roving and a needle felting kit, so I'm going to see what I think of some other felting processes soon.

I think your idea is great! I may have to give that a try. I have a couple sweaters in the machine as we speak, so we'll see what I can do with them.

Quote:
Also, have you thought about the faux chenille method for making rugs? I saw this on TV a long time ago and always thought it was neat. You put several layers of fabrics the same size on top of each other, sew straight lines across all the layers about 1/2 inch apart, maybe diagonally across the rug. Then you cut through the fabric between the strips, leaving the bottom layer uncut to hold the rug together. You put it in the washer and dryer (the loose threads could clog up your washer, be careful!) several times and it rags up into a chenille look. I'm sure if you google for it, you'll find better instructions--I did a quick search and found a sample of what someone did with this method to make a coat:
http://www.kathkwilts.com/lessons/chenille.html
Another great idea, thanks! This is definitely something I can handle, and should make for a quick project. Plus I love rag quilting, and this seems like another take on that.

Quote:
I love 'threads' like this one! Thanks!
Me too!
Everyone here is so full of great ideas!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Or you can make rag rugs...braiding together strips of fabric & sewing them to each other...those can be beautiful...and quite inexpensive. I don't think you could throw them in the washing machine but you could wash them in the tub easily?

I've been meaning to make one for a long time...

Allison

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the idea of rag rugs too, but the instructions I saw were for oval/circle shapes, and I'm not sure how it would work for squares/rectangles? I suppose I could just make strips of braids and sew them side to side rather than coil them...

Ok, so far I've made a note to make every single rug you all have mentioned! :LOL gardenmum... You're not alone in the "stop with the ideas and just make it" camp! I have a list as long as I am!!

Off topic... Allison, I
that picture of you in your sig! You're just lovely.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alliwenk
Or you can make rag rugs...braiding together strips of fabric & sewing them to each other...those can be beautiful...and quite inexpensive. I don't think you could throw them in the washing machine but you could wash them in the tub easily?
That's a great idea! You could even get old sheets from the thrift store and dye them with kool-aid.

·
Registered
859 Posts
You can also do the t-shirt idea with weaving. You can make a "big" potholder frame and weave stripped t-shirts like you would a large potholder. (January 2005 issue of Natural Home has instructions)

Or, you can strip fabric or t-shirts and use them as weft in a weaving project. Tapestry looms can be made any size. My huband built me a navajo loom (tapestry) loom from found objects around the house. Or you can use a picture frame. That way you do not need a harness loom.

Then of course, are the braided rag rugs.

If they are not TOO big, they can be thrown in the washing machine. My great-aunt had a braided rag rug that covered the living room. NOT machine washable
Tub washable though

·
Registered
150 Posts
I saw something really cool and easy at my local quilt shop recently. You use all of the supplies on this page. http://www.wildernessroadquilt.com/q...RugHooking.htm
I couldn't find a site that explains how to do it, but this is how it's done.
You use the needle that looks like a crochet hook on one end, with a needle eye on the other. You thread the needle with the cotton twine. Cut whatever fabric you want to use into 1 1/4 inch strips. Hold a strip of fabric underneath the rug mesh. Use the crochet end of the needle to pull up small loops of fabric into the holes of the mesh. When you have 4 or 5 loops on your hook, you pull the needle through the loops, and the twine that you've pulled through keeps the loops in place on top of the rug.
That probably didn't make any sense without illustrations, but it is SOOO simple. I'll probably be making several of these since we'll be shortly moving into a house that has all wood floors.
The book would probably be a good investment since it's so cheap, but seriously, my 8 yo dd tried this out on their sample in the store, and she could do it!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
There are soooo many ways of making rag rugs. Some are easier than others. You might look at this website for some of the many, many ways to convert rags into rugs.

http://www.netw.com/~rafter4/

I actually just purchased some knitting needles because I want to try knitting a rag rug. I crocheted a small mat out of old t-shirts. That was easy and it makes a great washable mat for wet boots. It would also make a good bathmat. I have also made one small braided rug, but that is a much more time intensive technique.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the great ideas! I started knitting a rug last weekend, and tomorrow I'm taking a crochet class specifically so I can learn some basics and make rugs! I'll also be doing a braided towel rug for the floor in what will soon be my daughter's room. Next stop - rug hooking! (I think I'm a little obsessed.)

msrog... Your rugs look amazing! Very cool. And actually, I'm even more impressed with the nesting basket idea! Any links for instructions on how to do that?

You all rock!

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Pendleton outlet store has wool by the yard for I think 1.?? !

For people who make braided wool rug that the place to go. But of course if you dont live near Pendleton then this info isnt much help.

My friend sister just made a all wool quilt from wool she bought there. My friend makes the most beautiful wool braided rugs
They dont wash, but last forever looking great all the time they are in service.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.