Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a vanity in our room. It just so happens that I hardly wear make up or jewelry and I need a sewing / office nook. I'm thinking about turning this into one.<br><br>
I brought up a chair for a folding table for now. The small mirror to the left opens up so I'm thinking fabric and craft supplies ( I would need small, narrow boxes for storing buttons and needles ). The sewing machine would have to go up on the shelf, which leaves little "office space", unless someone else has a better idea. I'm thinking of painting the area a different color too. Maybe a calming blue or green.<br><br>
I'm just brainstorming. How would you do it?<br><br>
Here are some pictures for a better idea.<br><a href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/flirtwithlove/House/DSCF1272.jpg" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/DSCF1272.jpg</a><br><a href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/flirtwithlove/House/DSCF1274.jpg" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/DSCF1274.jpg</a>

·
Registered
590 Posts
I get inspired by the color purple, so that's what color I'd paint it. I'd do a grayish medium toned purple. Then I'd get some of those plastic tower drawer thingies they sell at places like Target to hold all of the crafting supplies. Maybe some small tins to sit on top of the table (if there's room) for things like thread and buttons or whatever you use most frequently.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Are you saying you would put the sewing machine on that vanity countertop area? I think that would work except that it would make the machine just a little bit high and uncomfortable if you sew regularly and for long periods. If you rarely sew than it might be ok. I use an office chair to sew that I can adjust the height and that helps quite a bit.<br><br>
As far as color, if you're motivated by bright color then choose something fun that makes a statement. But sometimes it's nice to have something more calming like what you've mentioned. I love color but for my walls they're all pretty calm and tame. I add color in small splashes.

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
if you want to use the space for both purposes, then you need to store the machine on the floor underneath when not in use. if it must live on the countertop, then i think this can only be a sewing space.<br><br>
i would remove the big mirror and install shallow shelves or pegboard. inside the mirrored cabinet on the left, i'd use whatever was free/cheap for small storage, like small canning jars and cups and other small dishes from the thrift store or rummage sales, or packaging from toys or office supplies or food (like an altoids tin or those plastic boxes that thumb tacks come in). i would use space in the closet, dresser, or under the bed for my office things and excess sewing supplies. i'd want my seating to be an adjustable-height stool that could roll completely underneath the vanity. i would want my stool and machine to be the only things under the vanity, and nothing stored on top. but that's me.<br><br>
eta: i would probably hang a floor-to-ceiling curtain (just a simple panel) to section this off from my room, if i was storing things out in the open, as on shelves or pegboard or on and under the vanity. and i think painting this nook is a great idea!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Maybe I sew crazy things, but my first thought was that the vanity shelf was kind of constricting for sewing on--I tend to get spread out all over the kitchen table for my sewing projects....But I sure like the idea of repurposing a vanity for crafting....hmmmmm.<br>
I think it would make a way better office nook, but since either way you'll need some room under it for your legs and such, you won't be able to comfortably store much under there and have some cords, etc. to wrangle. And either way you'll probably need a tallish-chair, which may prove tricky with the pedal on the sewing machine. I agree with a pp about the mirror--probably needs to go so you can do stuff with the wall.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It would be cool to have something that could expand outward, especially for sewing. If you could install a table that comes down for working and then folds up against the wall ~murphy bed style~that would really expand the workspace<br><br>
If that is too complicated, you could remove the mirror or cover it with wallpaper or a print and maybe skirt under the counter to hide the storage or use a curtain over the whole doorway as pp<br><br>
I do think you are on the right track trying to re-purpose the space into something you can use

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><b>doubledutch</b><br>
eta: i would probably hang a floor-to-ceiling curtain (just a simple panel) to section this off from my room, if i was storing things out in the open, as on shelves or pegboard or on and under the vanity. and i think painting this nook is a great idea!</td>
</tr></table></div>
Ohhh! I love the curtain and rolling stool idea! Maybe this will help. The vanity nook is in a nook. There is a closet behind it. Here:<a href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/flirtwithlove/House/DSCF1271.jpg" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/DSCF1271.jpg</a> The vanity is cutout on the right. The closet on the left. Maybe a floor to ceiling curtain between the bedroom and closet/vanity would be best?<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><b>nascarbebe</b>Are you saying you would put the sewing machine on that vanity countertop area? I think that would work except that it would make the machine just a little bit high and uncomfortable if you sew regularly and for long periods. If you rarely sew than it might be ok. I use an office chair to sew that I can adjust the height and that helps quite a bit.</td>
</tr></table></div>
I rarely sew. And the big problem with putting it underneath is that DS sleeps in our room and this is in our room. DS is into everything. I would have to find something to put it in. I don't have a case for it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oppps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts