Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're expecting our first boy, and DH and I can't agree on a name. He's actually rather apathetic, but I want him to LIKE the name we choose. He tends to choose Irish names that are getting trendy, like Owen or Finian. I like to steer clear of anything REMOTELY trendy. I prefer classics like Henry and George. Our middle name choices are James and Lewis and our last name is monosyllabic. I have been over and over "The Last Word on First Names" but I can't find anything that works. Can anyone offer some fresh ideas?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
What about :

Oliver James
Declan James- that is Irish and means strong or brave. I forget which.

I like last names as first names. I was thinking if Sawyer for our boy, but we ended up with Quincy. We like it, my family hates it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lila
We're expecting our first boy, and DH and I can't agree on a name. He's actually rather apathetic, but I want him to LIKE the name we choose. He tends to choose Irish names that are getting trendy, like Owen or Finian. I like to steer clear of anything REMOTELY trendy. I prefer classics like Henry and George. Our middle name choices are James and Lewis and our last name is monosyllabic. I have been over and over "The Last Word on First Names" but I can't find anything that works. Can anyone offer some fresh ideas?
How about James Larkin? You could call him James or Larkin. I know a few people in my own family who have done that (my mom is Barbara Lynn but has always gone by Lynn and my uncle is Malcolm Graeme but has always gone by Graeme, etc.). With our first we had a couple of names to choose from that we both agreed upon and then waited to meet our little one before actually deciding. One name just felt right when we met her!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My husband actually goes by his middle name, and while I am okay with it, he has dealt with enough confusion to veto the idea.

I do quite like Declan- with the nickname Deco?

That's a bit more progressive than our girl's names, tho. They are Lucy, Alice, and Jane. Declan or Deco wouldn't quite fit in. Oliver might. James definitely would, and is my husband's name. I think Larkin sounds like a family name- the type that you hand down the generations. I like the sound of it though.

Good ideas. Keep them coming!!!

Also...what are your thoughts on George? What about Harry?

Thanks!
:

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I'm not in your DDC, I found this on New Posts, but I wanted to plug my favorite boys' name: Theodore. NN Teddy or Theo. I think it has gotten more popular but it isn't super trendy from what I can tell.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do like Gilbert. It is rather strong and manly, isn't it?
It is also dh's grandfather's name.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Ok, I have to chime in here - I love the names Harry and George.

I really really like Henry Lewis as a combo of first/second names - Harry for short though

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Ooh! Oliver is way cool! Oliver James **** Very nice.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Gilbert is very nice too. Gil for short? (Maybe he'll marry Anne Shirley when he grows up.. . )

Oh, and with your last name, I don't love Lewis as a middle name, JMO.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by angelika13
Declan James- that is Irish and means strong or brave. I forget which.
That's our second son's name, "Declan James". We threw Gregory in there as well (both middle names are tributes to our grandfathers).

Declan was an Irish Saint. We're not religious, but I looked him up and found quite a bit of information on him. He's credited for introducing Catholicism to Ireland. There are some interesting supernatural-type stories about him as well.

ETA: We call him 'Dec', 'Decky' and even 'Deckster' for nicknames

·
Registered
400 Posts
My husband also tends to veer towards Irish names. We also didn't want something super trendy so what we decided on was
"Ryan James" ......... Ryan is Irish and means "little king". Which will be fitting since I'm sure he'll rule our house....

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bumblebee- Sounds like you're sharing my taste! I like Harry for short, too. My dh & mom aren't feeling it though. George has been used in my family for the last 5 generations, except in my generation, and if I don't use it it will probably die out. My only cousin on that side who has children uses soap-opera/harlequin romance type names for her kids, and my other cousin and brother are not likely to have children. I LOVE George. I think it's rich and masculine and just a little different, but again...DH won't say he likes it. He won't say he doesn't either, tho. He just doesn't have an opinion. I guess that should be good enough!

Bella Babe- DH chose Lewis as a middle name because CS Lewis is his all time favorite author and theologian. I vetoed Clive, so Lewis it is. I'm not nuts over it, but I DID name the girls after Jane Austen and her characters, so I have to give him that one. Oliver James does sound nice. Wouldn't go for Ollie, though. You know my last name, so you know why it wouln't work. There are SO many names that won't work with our last name!!!! ARGH!!!!
:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I really like Henry, but George only makes me think of the president.

Your other kids have such lovely classic names. How about:

Evan
Thomas
Robert
Martin
Frank
Nolan
Kenneth
Harvey
Jack

good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts