Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the scoop. I have a 3 yo DS and a 1.5 yo DD. I'm also due in April with #3. I have some pretty bad symphysis pubis dysfunction and my mobility is quite limited. I also live in the country, an hour out of town, so I'm a little limited on activities I can do locally. Although, I don't go places much anyway, because going places involves walking, which is painful. I have a wheelchair, but I have yet to master keeping up with two toddlers in that thing, yet.<br><br>
So I need ideas on how to engage children while having limited mobility. I have drawing, building blocks, dress-up, puzzles, reading, and of course they play with their toys... but they're getting restless. I need ALL the ideas you can give me!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
That sounds rough! How about play dough? We made homemade ginger-smelling play dough many months ago, and DD still plays with it daily!<br><br><a href="http://mymontessorijourney.typepad.com/my_montessori_journey/2008/10/homemade-playdo.html" target="_blank">http://mymontessorijourney.typepad.c...de-playdo.html</a><br><br>
- Stickers<br>
- A plastic tub filled with beans (if your DD can be trusted around them)<br>
- Shaving cream

·
Registered
594 Posts
home made playdough is a huge hit here, i throw down an old tarp under the table, throw the playdough in the middle and step back and watch.<br>
it is also pretty theraputic to play with it yourself, it can really be a destresser!<br><br>
i am also due in april, and have been doing one movie a day as well though, because really, i need a break. they wont die from 1 movie a day. thats my mantra, they wont die from this, its temporary.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
We play with cornstarch a lot - put a pile of in the center of a rimmed baking sheet (one sheet for each kid is best), add a few drops of food coloring, let the kids determine how much water to add and when. You can provide various supplies to put in the cornstarch like animals, shells, rocks, spoons, etc. They smoosh it around, put their schleich animals in it, scoop it up, make lakes and ponds, make cupcakes, etc. They are entertained for minimum an hour when we've got cornstarch out.<br><br>
It can be messy, but it's very easy to clean up so that is a bonus.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts