Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean I only have 36 weeks to go! :LOL I like to have these things decided early. With both of my other children their names were chosen before they were even conceived so it was easy but this time we can not agree. DH has agreed that as long as he doesn't hate it I get veto power. Here are the names I am considering at this moment. Oh I also want them to sound okay with my other kids names.

I like Josephine but I can't use it anymore because my sister might be adopting a boy named Joseph.

Katherine (Kate, Katie)
Cassandra (Cassie, Casey)
Bronwyn
Eleanor (Ella, Ellie)
Miriam (maybe Mia for a nickname)

Benjamin (Ben)
Caleb
Jonah (Joe)
Asher (will people call him ash-hole?)
Nathaniel (Nathan, Nate)

So what do you think???

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavenly
Asher (will people call him ash-hole?)
Yes, probably. I don't think this one passes the playground test (does it rhyme with anything dirty or bad? Can it be made into a swear word?). It's a nice name, though.

Your other choices are all good, some more unusual than the others -- not sure if you're going for the classic (Katherine, Benjamin) or the unusual (Bronwyn, Asher)? They're all somewhat old-fashioned. I really like Miriam, and actually considered that for our child, but DP put the kibosh on that one. It's cute with Mia as a nickname. I also have always loved Nate.

So I guess those two would be my first choices. My last choices would be Katherine (too ordinary, too many out there -- and even if you call her Kate, don't forget all the girls named Caitlyn, KateLynn, Kaitlin, Catelinn, Caitlynne, etc. -- it's the new Jennifer), Cassandra (makes me think of the seer/prophet Cassandra), Caleb and Jonah (too biblical for my tastes, but JMHO).

Does that help?
~nick

·
Registered
163 Posts
I like Bronwyn and Nathaniel.

It's interesting, as I've never really heard Bronwyn used in the US, though it's quite well known in Australia, where my husband hails from.

I also like Asher, and I'm not sure that 'ash-hole' would necessarily be something he'd get harrassed with. The thing also is that kids on playgrounds will find anything to pick on, even if it's not your name. At some point you just kind of have to draw the line and pick a name you like, otherwise you might have to stick with the really mundane dull stuff just to avoid any kind of fun-poking.

Marieke

·
Registered
902 Posts
Something funny about Asher and the bad word associated with it lol...
When my son learned that word, he had overheard dh talking about our brother in law. So my son went around repeating "Uncle Deej asher"
So maybe that's off the list now lol!! Or not, it's up to you.
I just heard the prettiest girls' name today--Lira. They named their daughter that in the hopes she would love music and apparently all she does is sing and dance all day long

So I'm going to try to convince dh to change his choice for a middle name to Lira instead of Trinity. From the MATRIX. GRRRR!!!!

Have a wonderful 9 months

Karen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.