Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP, This is kind of a spinoff of another thread, but I've been meaning to post this for a while, and don't want to steal the other mamas thread. My DS (now 2 1/2) WILL NOT stay close when we're in public. I try to let him have as much freedom as possible, but he thinks it's a game all the time and runs away, laughing. Last time I took him to the zoo with my best friend who has a DS 6 weeks older than my DS, her son would run a little bit, but then she would say, "Okay, well, if you want to run, we can go home" or "*****, You need to come back over here please, it makes me sad when you run and I would be sad if I lost you" etc etc etc...exactly the same things I say with my DS...but her DS would come back! Nope, not my DS. Off he goes, and he's laughing hysterically..because he knows I have to chase him.
: I'm afraid that one of these days, he's going to run into traffic, or fall and hit his face on the concrete or something. He gets so over excited and he's so tall and lanky that he trips over his own feet sometimes, then wonders why his knees are all scraped. As a result of this behavior, I am forced to hold on to his hand at almost all times...and he hates it, and fights me on it. We were in TJ Maxx looking for a birthday present for someone and I let him go for a second to pick something up and he ran off and I lost him...he took off and I started chasing him but he can run underneath and around the racks of clothes faster than I can, and he just giggled his heart out and the only way I could keep somewhat of an eye on where he was running is because occasionally I would see the flash of the tye dyed t-shirt he was wearing. Now, tommorrow, I am planning on going to the zoo again with him and my best friend, her DS and 5 month old DD, and I really want to take my 6 month old DNeice...(I miss having a baby in the sling, and I think she would really enjoy it) but I'm skeptical on taking my DS at all!! Other MDC moms are planning on meeting up with us, so the last thing I need is not only to not be able to enjoy the zoo with my DS, and my friend et al., but also look like a horrid mother in front of everyone else and their beautiful children because I'm chasing around and yelling after my DS that just refuses to stay close.

The last time we were there my best friend also ran after my DS and ended up trying to help get him to stay close...I felt like I was a failure and at the end of my rope. Speaking of rope, my mother (bless her, she just irkes me sometimes) suggested I get one of those leash things...
I don't believe in those, and I see no reason to put a 2 1/2 yo perfectly capable of walking in a stroller, but I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? Sorry to make this so long, but I've been meaning to post on this for a while now, and at this point, i'm a leech for suggestions. HELP!

·
Registered
760 Posts
It sounds to me like some sort of tether is a good idea and could make the trip enjoyable for you. If he doesn't like it, he'll have to walk close to you -- or at least return when you ask -- and then he can carry on without it. This is a safety issue. What he is doing is dangerous. Using a sling as a harness, or a small backback with a luggage strap (that works for us, looks much better than a plastic hand-leash, and was very cheap).

Why are you opposed to the idea of keeping him close with a harness since he cannot do this yet of his own volition? It is better than a stroller, as you mention, and safer than what you are currently doing. Plus, will it look better or worse than you chasing him all over the place while he laughs hysterically and perhaps gets into some very dangerous situations?

Perhaps he will feel a bit embarassed or restricted by the harness (which is not at all the intent of using it) and choose to stay close to you rather than wear it. This seems like an acceptable natural consequence to me, especially since the alternative is a horrible day for you and compromised safety for him.

Good luck. I hope you both have a great time.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi! I am the mom who started that other thread you posted in.

I use a harness with my kiddo. But, he usually just ends up falling to the ground trying to get away from me. It could be because he is still just 17 months and still clumsy, even though he's been walking for 5-6 months, so I dunno.

Personally, I think it is a great thing. But, at this point I feel it is almost more dangerous for him to be wearing the harness because he ends up swinging around and bonking his head on the ground with it. Hopefully it'll get better.

I did feel self-conscious about it at the zoo last week when a little girl screamed in horror, "MOMMY! THAT BABY IS ON A LEASH! LOOK!"

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your responses. One of the reasons I am afraid to consider the harness idea is for the exact reason you mentioned, Delta...i'm afraid he will take off and end up falling flat on his face, or tripping, or the all-time favorite, having an all-out-screaming-fists-on-the-ground tantrum because he's attached to me, even if it is at some length. He won't even wear a band-aid. I appreciate your input and experiences with said devices. Dal made some good points about the safety of his current behavior, and the enjoyability of the experience as a whole as it stands. I still don't quite know how I feel about them on the whole, but it's worth some thought, even if I do decide against them and just torture myself. I just wish that it wouldn't be an issue in the first place. Too much energy!!!

Thanks mamas, you are wonderful

Kate

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyedyedeyes
Now, tommorrow, I am planning on going to the zoo again with him and my best friend, her DS and 5 month old DD, and I really want to take my 6 month old DNeice...(I miss having a baby in the sling, and I think she would really enjoy it) but I'm skeptical on taking my DS at all!! Other MDC moms are planning on meeting up with us, so the last thing I need is not only to not be able to enjoy the zoo with my DS, and my friend et al., but also look like a horrid mother in front of everyone else and their beautiful children because I'm chasing around and yelling after my DS that just refuses to stay close.

The last time we were there my best friend also ran after my DS and ended up trying to help get him to stay close...I felt like I was a failure and at the end of my rope.
My ds isn't very physically bold, as he walked late and all. So I haven't BTDT. I do want to say that you should never feel embarassed about your parenting because your child is physically adept and courageous. It's normal for his age not to know what's safe and what's not, and it's a testimony to you making him feel secure that he's willing to run giggling here and there. (To security and to physical ability!)

My guess is that the zoo is enough of a distraction to keep the running to a minimum, but it's also a child-friendly place that shouldn't have too many opportunities for running in front of cars, heaven forbid. I would bring a stroller to take him from the car through the parking lot to the main gate, and then park the stroller at the coat check area or whatever they have. (I always carry ds from the car.) Also, get him a helium balloon and tie it to his clothes. Is that crazy? I just have the idea that he might be fascinated and thereby slowed down.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Sprogly is really inclined to bolt. When we go to a store, I use a stroller, but I have been taking him out on walks using the tether. I feel a little embarrassed by it, because it really feels like he's on a leash, but he has no street sense at all, and also it's especially hard for me to chase him because I'm recovering from a sprained ankle.

When I use the tether, I try to hold his hand anyway, especially when we're near the street.

He loves his tether, BTW. He brings it to me when he wants to go out. It strikes me as just like what a dog would do, I just want to
: .

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hope you found something that works and are having fun at the zoo.

About being embarassed cuz the harness is akin to a dog's leash... well... there are excellent reasons to have many dogs on leashes -- many of them are inclined to dart off too. I think the embarassment about treating our children "like dogs" comes from a mindset that dogs aren't treated well or that they don't deserve to be treated well... so when we treat our children "like dogs" we are being mean to them. If we ever have a dog, s/he will be gd'd and treated exceptionally well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts